Vocal tracking help needed for MD8 users (VOXVENDOR, Green Hornet, anybody)

atomictoyz

For some reason, Ive decided to do some vocals. The last time I did that was maybe 7 or 8 years go, vocal booth and couple of rental condensors. Now its in my micro studio, no way to vocal booth, condensor mic, me, a vocalist and the md8 in the same room. Ok, so doing vocals this way is stupid, but its the only alternative for a poor cheap sap like me.

Peace,
Dennis

Well,

If your using an MD8 (minidisc), I take it, you just want to put down some tunes, and your not really going for an "audiophile" type product.

Since you don't have a booth, I would just use a SM57 in the same room as your MD8...

How will it sound?

It will be decent..

I recorded the vocals on my song "Your Life Story" through an SM57 in the control room around all my noisy gear...

Sure, if I solo the vocal track, you will be able to hear the slight "whir" of my computer fan etc.. But in the mix, it's totally hidden....

And sure, I had to add a bit of eq to get it good, but it's the end product that matters... And I think I got a decent sound on my song, considering the set up..

Check it out...
http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/rockpop/voxvendor/singles

Good Luck.... Anymore questions.. just ask..

Sorry about the question not being clear Pier. I just wanted some hint and tip on recording vocals where you and the vocalist have to sit in the same room as the recorder. I don't have to worry about fans or any thing like that, just whatever noise the md8 generates. VOX, you did jar loose an old technique though I learned way back. It used to be a common technique to go back over each track and remove studio noise in between vocal lines. In the past Ive used a gate on the mic, fast attack with just a medium slow release, that way I lessened the amount of clean up. As far as audiophile quality...you've got to be kidding. Everyone knows the md8 has the finest converters available, and will sooner or later be the death of all other recorders.
Ill try to get a listen on your song when I get home, Im on a firewalled Unix workstation, not mp3 players allowed. Thanks for the advice.

Peace,
Dennis

Hey Atomictoyz,

No problem, I just didn't understand what you were after?

I record vocals in the same room with my MD8 as well. I face the mike away from the MD8 (180 deg) so that you are looking at it. It does two things for me:

1. It helps to cut down recording of the high pitch squeal my MD8 makes when in use. (does yours make this squeal sound, I hate that!)?

2. I can keep an eye on the level meters when I am the vocalist.

Like Voxvendor said, you won't be able to hear noise when you get it mixed to geather. My stuff turns out all right and I use a V67.

Take care
Pier

Yo Atomic One:

So, you want to do vocals with the MD8 -- no problem; I have used that unit for vocals many times.

Can't understand why Pier is getting a "high pitched squeal" unless she uses open head phones and a sensitive mic -- that will cause feedback or Pier has her home speakers/monitors on when recording.

What you need with the MD8 is a mic pre -- that is a great asset for signal strength.

Let's say you take a CD music background and put it in the MD8.

That leaves you lots of tracks for vocal work or just one track if that's all you need.

If you do your own music, get that done first and make sure you have enough headroom for the vocal; don't let the music cover you up.

Put some reverb into the headset -- it will give you this feeling of power when you sing. The verb won't be recorded -- you can do that when you mix down, like several different types of reverb and delay -- this can run into many hours of putzing around but that's how you get a GOOD cut.

I ran a test yesterday; I did a vocal on my Yorkville mic and did it over on my AKG 3000. The AKG was superior in depth, dimension, and sound quality. Well, there goes the Yorkville in the corner. The Yorkville looks like many mics out there that seem to have the same body and probably made in China. Right now I'm scouting the AKG 4000 because I've heard nothing but good stuff about that mic.

Pan the vocal straight up @ 12:00. You can re-pan later if you want to when you mix; but I like to keep the vocal up front.

Well Uranium 234, I hope this helps you out. Have fun.
Green Hornet

:D :D :p :p :p

Green Hornet"

Hi Green Hornet,

The high pitch squeal I get is not from feed back at all. It comes from the diskdrive unit it's self.

You can actually hear the drive working, I guess ?

I don't know if this is a common thing with MD8's or not. The only time I can hear it in the cans is when the mic picks it up. It's not too bad.

Oh, and by the way, Pier is a him, not a her.

Thanks Green one !
Take care
Pier Calacino (male)

Just open that sucker up and spray about half a can of WD40 in there...Should be running smooth in no time..

Just kidding.. DON"T DO THAT!:D

Yo Pier:

Heh, heh, heh. I just knew when I used the feminine pronoun that I'd be wrong. Kept thinking of the "Pier" who married Vic Damone such a long time ago when I was a baby.

Don't know why you're getting the squeal from your Md8. Maybe a Yamaha techie can clue you in on that one.

As Voxie said, DON'T SHOOT ANY WD spray into your unit.

Maybe a quick pass, gently, with a vacuum cleaner?

I still have my MD8 set up in the studio; however, I don't use it much since I got the 2816. But, it's still a good box.

Hope Uranium 234 got some help as this post kind of drifts off a bit but drifting is fun.

Green Hornet

Back