Vocal tips?

musicsdarkangel

I am about to record vocals in the studio, and I was just wondering if there were any tips to help me keep my voice stabalized.

I've heard that cold water freezes the vocal chords and that a bit of alcohol opens them.

Is this true?

anyway, please help.

Alcohol can cause dehydration (not a good thing). Not to mention too much alcohol can compromise a performance (and the concern of sloppy drunks near your gear)! You are correct that cold liquids can restrict the throat (also not a good thing). Various carbonated syrup based beverages (cola, etc) can be bad because iit can cause accumulation of "gunk" in the throat and mouth.

Many singers like some warm tea with lemon. Type of tea can vary based on the singers preferance.

I normally have a few different teas available. If I do serve water, I simply offer bottled water at room temp.

Make sure the headphone monitor system provides the singer the level and mix they need - to prevent them from straining (singing too loud, etc.). Also, some type of mood lighting can work wonders to establish a relaxed room vibe!

mikeh said:
I normally have a few different teas available. If I do serve water, I simply offer bottled water at room temp.
That's the ticket. Keep some twizzlers handy, also. Not too sweet, and that particular chewing action (licorice, taffy, etc.) fairly evenly works the outer muscles of the throat.

Not too much! It's a warm-up. Too much is a wear-out.

I find mints (preferably strong ones) to work really well in opening up the vocal chords. I drink Earl Grey and honey for my throat. And room temp water.

I'm not going to shoot down anybody's tricks and techniques, but I would like to offer a warning. Be careful with honey.....though it is soothing to the throat, it is very thick and heavy. It coats the throat which is not good....the tea may offset that, depending on how much honey you have in it. I'm not saying it's a bad suggestion....just make sure not to have too much honey...

Bottle (or two) of Jack Daniels
2 packs of cigaretts
a pack of gum (Hubba Bubba works the best).......... :D

Just kidding about the gum... :rolleyes:

mikeh said:
Alcohol can cause dehydration (not a good thing). Not to mention too much alcohol can compromise a performance (and the concern of sloppy drunks near your gear)! QUOTE]

Dehydration won't be a factor if you drink water too. I like a bit of whiskey watered down. A little bit of whiskey helps my overall performance. Opens you the chords, loosens up the singer, and allows for a good time all around. Too much can make you a little less productive, but a little will free you up to get into the song and loose inhibitions and all that mumbo

Use a Banana!

Before I have any one sing a note in my Studio I suggest that they eat a Banana. The natural oil sooths the throught and coats it with a natural oil that does not plug you up.
I than ask them to sing a few scales to loosen things up. And I serve Bottled water at room temp.
The only problem with a hot tea is that it can do damage because when you drink hot tea it is not at body temp.(Much hotter if you boil it) This in turn expands things to far and as you cool down it starts to contract.
I learned this from an Opra Singer. So I guess there must be some truth to it. Also the Lead singer of my old band did this every night (On the road 3 years ) and never once did he loose his voice.

I record voiceover (ie. speech) in my daily job.

I find that coffee is the WORST thing for them to drink - it makes the mouth dry and sticky and leads to clicks and clacks. The same goes for tea - it dries them out. I always make sure they take a big glass of water from the cooler before they go into the booth.

Bananas are good at fighting stomach rumbles, which often occur if you're recording in the morning ("I came straight here, didn't get time to get any breakfast.").

A lot of VOs drink herbal and fruit teas, and I think they seem to be ok.

ecktronic said:
My singer drinks pineapple juice. It is meant to be really good for the throat.

I've also heard this makes your jizz taste better....therefore the ladies are a little less hesitant......maybe that's what your singer has in mind....

bucchild -

Really? I might give that a go. Anything to stop her gobbing it out all over my belly at the important moment.

:eek:

Back