Vocal Settings

doubler

What are some of the settings and effects some of you place on your vocal tracks?

The exact ratios, Im doing an indepth comparison of different methods when implimenting them to various beats and sounds.

Thanks for your help!

Can you be a bit more specific as to what you;re asking for?

I use different effects and processes depending on the outcome I'm attempting to achieve... too many to list out, that's for sure.

Change of POETS said:
Can you be a bit more specific as to what you;re asking for?

I use different effects and processes depending on the outcome I'm attempting to achieve... too many to list out, that's for sure.

i agree with that.

it all depends on the singer/mic/pre/song/mood/sex/religion/budget
:D

sometimes you may want some reverb, sometimes the song doesnt ask for it

i suggest you experiment and see what works or not for the singer/song

Getting a good vocal track, like much of recording, is a matter of finding out how your room works, what the capabilities of the singer are, and the sound you are trying to get, and how that sound will fit into the mix. For that reason there's no single way of going about it. I have a good sounding room, and I have learned which mics work with the singers I usually work with, but every time someone new comes in it's almost back to square one again.

Experiment. Doing so, especially with effects in Cool Edit Pro/Adobe Audition, is pretty easy, since you are compelled to record dry anyway (unless you are using outboard hardware). Expect to take a lot of time trying different compressor settings and reverbs (and, as an aside, don't drench the vocal in reverb: the more you use the farther away the voice sounds).

Like I said, this is just an experiment for vocals.
I dont think I need to be specific, since I am focusing mainly on the vocal patterns and the unique quality different people's settings can achieve ' despite' equipment, running it through software- and only software.

Of course most of you have different methods, just list any one specific thing you do, or your usual 'line' of things you do to clean/prep vocal work.

Thanks again,.

"What are some of the settings and effects some of you place on your vocal tracks?"

Honest, it depends on what mic you used and what your track sounds like.

But having said that, I often find myself EQing vocal tracks in the low mids and in the low highs, thus:

* cut an octave a dB or two at about 300-370Hz.

* boost an octave a dB or a dB and a half at either 4k or 5K.

They're not the same. But the vocal will tend to stand out more in either case.

Back