Vocal Reverb Help

gumboots

I'm using a Yamaha 4 track MD recorder. I'll eventually be recording vocals, and I was wondering what I should look into as far as vocal effects. All I really need is some warm reverb to help blend the vocal tracks into the mix, make it sound more 'studio' but I don't really know what kind of hardware to look for. I want to stay away from using computer software, so more along the lines of some sort of FX box I can plug the mic into, and then into the mixer. For some test recordings, I've been using the Reverb on a Fender PA head, which gives me the kind of sound I'm looking for, but leaves a very noticable hiss and buzz on the track. It blends in when all the instruments are up, but for the quiet parts, it's terribly noticable.

I'm looking for something simple, that won't create hiss, and makes a nice sound for the voice. No echo, no fancy effects...just something to warm it up, and blend it nicely. Also, something cheap, if it exists.

Many thanks for any hot tips!

Ehm, actually, I have found that echo is exactly whats needed to blend it in nicely. probably it depends a lot on the singer as much as the msuci style, but inledd you've tried it, don't dismiss it completely.

Hey Ametth,
What's a good price for a used LXP 1 or 5
I've seen a few of these used but no prices marked.
Also i'll assume the quality of the verbs are a notch or two above the MPX-100?

ametth said:
Maybe a Lexicon LXP-1 or 5?

I second that.

the lxp-1 is unbelievable for the price. It can be had now for $150 on ebay. cheaper if you don't use "buy it now"

I have 2 .wav files that I use for reference. One is dry and one is treated with a reverb from an mpx-1($700)

Well the other day, I flew the dry sound into vegas, and treated it with the reverb of the lxp-1, and to my ears, the algorythms are the same. The only difference was that the mpx-1 was more pristine.

Hello!! I don't know a whole lot about recording, but I do have a suggestion. You said that your Fender PA head gave you a good reverb, but it had hiss, and that it was really bad at quiet parts. What about using a noise gate? I know this would be only for this song and that, if you're like me, you're looking to buy an effects unit anyways, but it's just a thought I had. Cheers!!

Brandon

Yo Gumboots: [that's STOOBMUG SPELLED BACKWARDS!!!]

The Lexicon box, the 100 or 500 has 24 bit processing.

I have an Alesis Midiverb which is supported by a Lexicon 100; the Lexicon has 24 bit processing -- it is VERY COOL. Good sounds. The Alesis is all right but relies more a a canyon BOOM RATHER THAN A NICE TIGHT CLEAR 24 BIT BOOM.

Both boxes are good; the Lexicon is better.

Green Hornet

Back