Vocal Recording Question

kobra

Hello
I'm recording vocals thru a Digitech RP100 guitar effects thing. I have some reverb and delay on, and I'm happy with the sound, except when I play it back the vocals sound too close compared tot he rest of the music if you can understand that. Any advice?
Thanks

Are you taking a stereo feed out of the diditech thingy?? aslo when you listen to the vocal and effects on their own you tend to underdo it, try adding them with the track playing as well.

cheers
john

compression and a good mic pre.

I had the same problem, but just bought a Joe Meek VC3Q...it was amazing how much it helped. The importance of those two things just is....well, important! Anyway, try that.

***Justin***

kobra,

if you have spare money, get a preamp instead of recording vocals through your digitech (unless you want that speakery vocal sound)

i guess using a digitech you also use a dynamic mic.

if your vocals sound too close (I think I know exactly what you mean) then the easiest way is to step away from the mic a few inches.

if you can't /don't wanna do this for any reasons: cut a nice amount of the low frequencies, maybe even some of the highs.

what helps too is to add a tiny bit of chorus (you shouldn't really 'hear' it as chorus) - but do it after the tracking.

in my opinion, compression will even support the vocals sounding close... nevertheless you will need some to make the vocals sound even and slick.

if you're recording to your computer, check out the blueline plug-ins (incl. compressor, chorus, reverb, delay, eq, filter...).

cheers
six

i moved up from recording a sm57 through a J-Station to a real preamp (Delta DMP2) and the difference was night and day...as much of a difference as moving up from a WalMart mic to the sm57:eek:

Back