Vocal Processing - Hardware vrs Software

What is better? Hardware or Software Vocal Processors?

• Hardware

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Software

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters

davidsh

Hi all.. Im new here, so be kind. :drunk:
Here is my basic question - in our current technology environment, is it better to go with vocal processing hardware or software? The vocal processing I am referring to is harmonizing, doubling, etc.
The reason I ask is that I just went to Guitar Center and bought a Boss VE 5 based on some video's I saw. When I looked for it online, I could not find it anywhere under $250.00. When I went to Guitar Center, the guy said it was on Clearance for $199.00. I freaked out thinking that hardware vocal processing is on its way out and the focus is maybe moving to software. PS - I bought the Boss processor but have not used it yet).

I would appreciate all of your thoughts on this, cuz I still have time to return it. :-)

Hardware/Software currently in use:
Macbook Pro using GarageBand
PreSonus Firebox
Shure SM58 microphone

Hardware is still in for live work. I wouldn't trust software for live work.

With that being said, I'm all for software when it comes to recording stuff.

Things that are built to be used in live situations are generally easier to use in live situations because that's what they've been designed for. If you're not in a live situation, then it depends upon what's available as to what you'd use.

Apart from an effect, I can't see a use for a harmoniser in a studio situation... you can just sing the appropriate harmony - so if you're talking "live" then unless you can find a software solution with a usable live interface, then perhaps hardware is still the way to go.

I voted for software because it will give you most of the time better results than cheap outboard equipment. Now if you had thousands of dollars... that would be another story :D

Well you can expect that 1073 sounds a hell lot fuller than some cheap interface preamp.
Same applies to compressors or whatever equipment. Of course you can talk about different flavours, but actually no one seems to want to get thin and lifeless recordings.
And for the price you can get lot more using software.

I think it's a great idea to use hardware as an insert after you've recorded but watch out for latency on the returned track.

If you are doing live work keep the boss. I play a lot of shows where I sure as hell wouldn't bring my Macbook. If you are just recording I would return the boss. Plugins will let you get a lot more in depth.

If you are doing live work keep the boss. I play a lot of shows where I sure as hell wouldn't bring my Macbook. If you are just recording I would return the boss. Plugins will let you get a lot more in depth.

The Boss can add another flavor to your recordings if programmed and used properly.

Back