Vocal/overhead mic selection

johnny5dm

Soo... I'm in the process of building up my own studio, and am looking at microphones. I already have a few (no condensers yet), and I'm trying to figure out what else I should get. I need a pair of condensers (open to either SD or LD) for drum overheads/acoustic guitar, and I also need a good vocal mic. I've been toying with the idea of buying a pair of SD condensers like NT5s and a vocal mic like an AT4033 or NT2-A. I'd also love to be able to use whatever mics I have to record a grand piano, which (so I've read) seems to be ideally suited to a pair of LDCs. (or perhaps I'd be better off getting a PZM mic?)

The question at hand:
Should I go ahead with the pair of SDCs (NT5s or otherwise) and one good vocal mic, or get a pair of LDCs for both purposes?

Things to consider:
* my budget for these mics is hopefully in the $800-1000 range. Preferably the $800, obviously.
* I'd prefer high quality at one thing over large numbers of applications, although I'm willing to sacrifice there if a mic is really versatile.
* Suggestions for mic combinations in this price range are welcome and desired.

Thanks!!!

BTW, anyone tried a Blue Kickball yet?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23790&item=7332904453&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

seems like a good deal considering the street price of pre alone is around 500$. a couple reivews of the 603s ive seen have been bad but mostly people say they are solid, quality mics. ive used em on many things for a long time and will only upgrade em when i got 1k$ for some 451s.

combo those with a mxl v69 or v77 and your right around 800$ and have covered all your mic wants and gotten what seems like a decent 2 chan pre.

You might consider a pair of Shure KSM-44's.

Some good mics there that can easily do double-duty.

Another darhorse might be the Blue Dragonfly.

mr.rich said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23790&item=7332904453&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

seems like a good deal considering the street price of pre alone is around 500$. a couple reivews of the 603s ive seen have been bad but mostly people say they are solid, quality mics. ive used em on many things for a long time and will only upgrade em when i got 1k$ for some 451s.

combo those with a mxl v69 or v77 and your right around 800$ and have covered all your mic wants and gotten what seems like a decent 2 chan pre.

...I agree on the MP20 (you can even do the free Burr-Brown OpAmp upgrades) and the 603s...here's a chance to add the V77 (Great Mic!) for only about $200:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41466&item=7331914376&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

...that leaves around $100. for stands, pop-screen, cables etc...

hmm...

Well, here's the thing. I already have a Firepod, and had kinda decided that if I were going to get a new pre, I'd get something really nice... so I'm not sure whether it's worth it to get the MP20, when the Firepod's pres are already pretty darn good (so I've heard). So, I was hoping to just use that money for mics. Anyone have or used both? Is the MP20 that much better than the Firepod's pres?

I'm intrigued at the thought of the KSM44's - that might work.

On the 603s - look good for the money, but I'm a fan of slightly darker sounds, and so that was why I was thinking about the NT5s - reviews say that they're a little darker.

I'm gonna have to read around about the V77 - I guess I had kinda blown off MXL a bit, but I'll have to rethink that.

Also toying with the 4040 idea... what about 4050s? or 4033s? anyone used those?

Man, I've got a lot of review reading to do...!

Thanks for the info so far - keep it coming!

hey i just got the kickball and it sounds amazing for bass drum. so far ive actually liked it better out of the drum, right inside the hole, rather than up close to the beater. i'd recomend throwing another mic in up close to get the click if thats what your looking for. otherwise, a great mic for a great price. good luck with everything.

-matt

I'd get a pair of NTK's. Great on Vox and overheads. I use mine for vocals mainly, but if I had a pair they'd be my primary overheads as well. You should be able pick them up for around 350 each used...

About the 4040, I like it too. Actually the 2 LDC's I have are the 4040 and the NTK. I recommend the NTK better for my vocals, simply because the 4040 is too clean and flat on me. It might be differnt for you though. Try em out and see...

jacob

Back