Vocal Mixing Advice...

MrBlackthorne

Funkmaster
Hey all...

I've recently been doing some recording and mixing. My band (4 pc. guitar rock band) just finished a 4 song demo that sounds choice, except for the vocals. The vocals are crisp and clear, but don't sound quite "polished". I was wondering if anyone could give me some EQ and compression tips. I'm using Cubase, so I'm limited to 4 bands.

Also, how can I mix background vocals to give them that "Background" sound without too much competing with the front vox.

I am (obviously) recording digitally, and we are using an Alesis AM-51 mic.

Your input is appreciated!!

Yo Mr. Blackthorne:

Sounds like a mystery for Poirot.

But, first "background voices." By this term, I'm assuming that you mean what the "Do-Waa" girls do, when backing up a major star? Well, you can have your background people stand back a bit from the mic; don't record them at such a hot input; use a small room FX patch, with little bounce; and you can try panning the background voices left/right to lessen the intensity of their input.

As for compression, don't use it because my compressor sits in the basement gathering dust. Never could figure out its benefits.

Tweaking the EQ should be done carefully; don't try and create a new voice with the EQ; however, if you experiment a bit, you will discover ways to lighten/darken the major vocal or the background folks.

Mixing all the tracks down is the hardest job; I don't use a computer to record; I use an MD-8, so I'm in a different ball park; but, basically, you do the same things that I do.

Hope this helps,
Green Hornet

On your backing vocals, a little reverb with some high end damping to make them sit back a little in the mix and the lead vocal I'd think about a compressor to level it and bring it forward.

Back