VOCAL mics / DRUM mics

justinm.

I have been using a PVi4 cardioid dynamic mic for, well pretty much recording everything. Christmas is coming and I was thinking about just asking for money to purchase some much needed new mics. I've been looking at a Shure SM7B for a vocal mic. I don't know too much about this stuff, I feel like I just keep reading around in circles.

Would you guys recommend some vocal mics and drum mics for recording? I have the standard 5-piece set. Do you think the mic I mentioned for vocal recording, Shure SM7B, is a good choice? Also, another question: A lot of people recommend SM57s, but then a lot of them also say they are really great but only if you're in a studio setting and not so good if recording at home. Is this true for anyone?

What is your recording chain now Justin? That will help to set you in the right direction on your journey for the proper microphones.

Moresound's right. We need a little more info.

What you read about 57s is probably to do with the kind of preamp you use. Sm57/58/7B microphones, and really any dynamic microphones play nicer with a lot of clean gain available.
Some cheaper pres don't have this.

What specifically do you want to record.
7B can be fantastic for vocals, but also for kick drum, E guitars, bass, toms, etc.
RE20 and md421 have a similar reputation.

Well I don't actually own a pre. I record with a Tascam digital portastudio 2488, and it has built in pres so I sometimes use those, but not always. I don't have much equipment at all.

For vocals, I have the mic into the pre amp in the Tascam.
Or, I put the mic through a mixer amplifier, into a Fostex 4-track, then into my Tascam.
Or, if none of the above, I plug the mic right into the Tascam and that's it...but I usually don't do this.

For drums, I use the same mic, in front of the drums about 2-3 feet above the toms, pointing down in the middle of the set. The mic either goes into the mixer amp, which goes into the Tascam, or I just plug the mic right into the Tascam and use the Tascams built in compressor.

Well I don't actually own a pre. I record with a Tascam digital portastudio 2488, and it has built in pres so I sometimes use those, but not always. I don't have much equipment at all.

For vocals, I have the mic into the pre amp in the Tascam.
Or, I put the mic through a mixer amplifier, into a Fostex 4-track, then into my Tascam.
Or, if none of the above, I plug the mic right into the Tascam and that's it...but I usually don't do this.

For drums, I use the same mic, in front of the drums about 2-3 feet above the toms, pointing down in the middle of the set. The mic either goes into the mixer amp, which goes into the Tascam, or I just plug the mic right into the Tascam and use the Tascams built in compressor.

A signal chain is, as the saying goes, like any chain; it's as strong as it's weakest link.

I started out with multitrack recorders myself. Early on I invested a €1000 on a expensive Neumann mic, and still my tracks were not satisfactory. This was before internet forums, and it took me a couple of frustrating years to find out what the problem was, which were the crappy internal preamps.

Try the FMR RNP (Really Nice Preamp), you'll be surprised about the quality increase.

A Shure SM7 and a Shure SM57 are both great mics, but not necesseraly on the same sources. Whyle the SM57 is a great mic for loads of stuff, it's might not be first choise for a studio vocal mic, or a bassdrum mic.

@chrisghost I don't really like the internal preamps either, but whenever I mention this, I am told that I should be happy with them and able to make good recordings with them and that if I am not able to, it is my own fault. Pretty much everyone has told me that the mics are more important than a preamp, so I should start there...so, that's what I am doing, but I was originally starting with a preamp.

So do you think the Shure SM7 would be good for vocals? That is what I was mainly looking at, but I am trying to get some opinions. Is there a mic that you would recommend?

It's a bit of an endless circle.

Starting with the mic is fair enough, and arguably it is the most important (or at least most noticeable) upgrade.
It's just unfortunate that your choice, SM7b, really lacks through cheap pres.

If for example you were buying a studio projects b1 or an nt1a, I don't think anyone would have mentioned your preamps.

I used the sm7b with digi 003 premps for ages and never got what the fuss was about.

After a preamp upgrade, it's is honestly like a whole new microphone. Same goes for all my big dynamics.

Okay...I understand what you're saying. What would you guys recommend to me for a drum mic? Say if I was going to put it through an RNP Pre amp, which was mentioned. Or if not an RNP, the mics that you guys have mentioned that you really like, what is it that you are putting them through?

Also, thanks you guys for replying to my questions.

Okay...I understand what you're saying. What would you guys recommend to me for a drum mic? Say if I was going to put it through an RNP Pre amp, which was mentioned. Or if not an RNP, the mics that you guys have mentioned that you really like, what is it that you are putting them through?

Also, thanks you guys for replying to my questions.

I just run my ev320 (kick drum) through the pre's on my Tascam 1641. They aren't fabulous, but they get the job done!

Back