Vocal microphone under £600

Farshock

Hey guys, this is my first post. I've been into recording for a couple of years now and the weakest link in my chain has become my vocal microphone - a lowly rode nt1-a.

I hate the way the microphone accents sibilance, it's harshness in the high end, really just everything about the high end boost.

The type of music im doing is fairly minimal, usualy just 2 backing instruments and the vocals ( acoustic guitar and precussion for example )

So im looking for a more neutral, realistic microphone, although some flattering warmth in the low end wouldn't be meeted with distaste, taking this into account what microphone in the £0-600 ($1000) price range would you recommend?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Last edited:
A good recording mic. in that price range is the new Neumann TLM 102.

Available in satin nickel or black and being well spoken of.

TLM102_Z.jpg
TLM102_01_01_P.jpg

The Sound On Sound review is HERE if you want to read it.

There's so many nice mics to choose from.. I've read (but not used) the NT1 is a bit on the hard sounding.. So I was going to suggest used KSM32 ($300 or less), also consider a multi pattern for general versatility plus very often you're getting a few different tone curves in addition.
Interesting I just looked at the KSM32 (own) and 44 (haven't heard..) on their site. I had the idea the 32 was the flatter' of the two but they show it more scooped what the hell?. :confused:
Anywho it seems a fairly natural tone- but not Earthworks neutral for example, via the top rises most of these guys have.

In the $1000. range I would look into the used market fora killer microphone that may cost twice that new! ;)

:cool:

Back