Vocal mic shootout

Debating between mic 1 and 3. Nr2 sounds a bit too low heavy (but maybe proximity effect?).

It could be proximity effect but for the shootout to keep everything constant, each mic was placed the same distance away from my mouth.

I think they all sound very similar. Some eq would wipe out any difference...

ok I'd pick 1 if I had to... at the ending # 1 sounds less boomy to me.

Post it with music

It's impossible to tell without the accompanying instruments. You should also do the test multiple times at different distances.

Tracking isn't about making each instrument sound good on its own, its about making the ensemble sound good together. a shitty sounding piano might sound great in a mix, and a great sounding guitar may not fit at all. You could select your favorite vocal mic, but throw a bass guitar under you and suddenly all your vocal low end is missing.

Also that annoying room noise in your microphone is at 900-1000hz probably, try dropping it 3 db. with a narrow to medium quality factor

I agree if youre going to do DJ or Announcer type work (with no music) it might mean more to hear the full mic ability, if you're going to do vox w/ band of tracks and noise, then the difference will be even smaller.

Most articles I read the vox track will have hpf on it cutting off the lower end freq's, and all that.
One recent recording, the eng mentioned chopping off 120hz and below(hpf) remove the boomblob mud, small cut around 250hz for some mud removal, bit larger cut around 1K with small Q to remove nasal-tone, and a boost around 8khz for some sparkle.

that's why I chose #1, it will probably fit in the mix better as the boomy low end "Radio DJ" sound was already gone.

its all about money too, sure if you can afford the MD421, its probably a well built mic. one reason I like the shure's is because of the ability to withstand physical abuse.....no fragile ribbons around here because of that reason! its more Ramone-ish than Beethoven around here...

Back