Vocal mic for drummers

rvriccardi

Does anyone have any suggestions for a vocal mic for drummers?

I've tried an SM58 but it really picked up my cymbals when I was singing. I also tried an SM57, it was better but still a problem. I'm considering the Shure Beta 87A condenser mic because of it's supercardioid pattern and ambient rejection, although at 180 degrees it looks like it'll pickup some sound.

I was also considering the headwork type of mic's (Crown CM 311 & 312), but it sounds like getting them to fit could be a problem. Also, not being able to vary the distance from my mouth to the mic could be an issue while singing.

Thanks
-Ron

You'll probably find the Beta 87A to be something of a mixed bag. Sure it's got a supercardiod pattern, but it is also MUCH more sensitive than an SM57 or SM58. You very well may find that it would pick up even more cymbals just because of that sensitivity. You might just have to accept that there will be some cymbal bleed in the vocals, because there's no real way to get around it. Every drummer I've ever seen that sang while playing was using either an SM58 or a Beta 58, so it's not like you're using the wrong mic...

Back