vocal mic assistance?

tf5_bassist

The LouDogg
alright... my vocalist is looking at picking up a Beta 58 for an upcoming DIY recording session... but for the moolah, i believe that you could pick up a better mic for the money for recording vox. I suggested the M-Audio Luna, and the AT3035 just to start... our limit's around $200 for the mic... opinions?

I like AKG C2000B in that price range. When the vocal tracks are done, you'll find it's good for a lot of other stuff. $180 with shock mount from 8th street.-Richie

Here's an ide: Get the one that either the vocalist wants, or sounds the best on his voice. Does he try to tell you what bass you should buy or what kind of picks to use? :D :D

What is he goint to use it for after the recording is done? Live work, perhaps? The Beta 58 might not be such a bad choice.

Blessings, Terry

Why not one of these, you could even have some money left.:

ADK A51: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41466&item=3722679220&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41466&item=3723930835&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41466&item=3723182571&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

http://www.adkmic.com/

Maybe you could find a used Audix CX-101/111 in that price range. In that case you will have a very good vocal mic

About dynamic mics:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41468&item=3723857288&rd=1

Believe that one should do the work. I have used it side by side with Shure mics and it's great.

...Or this ribbon mic maybe: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15198&item=3722823865&rd=1

Hans,
www.hagen.nu

Type III. That's what I have, two of them

chessrock said:
Here's an ide: Get the one that either the vocalist wants, or sounds the best on his voice. Does he try to tell you what bass you should buy or what kind of picks to use? :D :D

hahahaha... I can always count on a witty response from you man... :)

And the reason why i'm helping him with mic selection is because he knows jack shit. he thought his $20 AT dynamic mics he got with his yamaha PA system were hot shit. Until he tried the 58 i brought. so he bought his own. he just figured that a beta 58 would be better and good enough for recording, but it's more of a stage mic in my book.
And we really don't know what sounds best on his voice. Seeing as last time, shitty mics were used for a shitty demo.
As for what it's going to be used for after recording, most likely it will be stored away until we record some more, or used on one of the bandmembers other sideprojects demos. He's already purchased a 58, so a second live mic isn't necessary.

That ADK... i'm not too familiar with those mics... But for the price they seem nice.

So right now, i'm contemplating the AKG, Luna, 3035, a C1, and possibly that ADK... All decent mics around the right budget... And have heard great things about all of them. At least it's down to a handful of choices now.

Oh, and Chessrock... and i don't use picks. ;)

If you're running any microphones through a Mackie mixer, most other microphones are not as picky about loading issues as Shure's are.

In other words, if this is the case, try some other makes.
The Mackie pre's/Behringer pre's are pretty crappy on the Shure dynamics.
Also, if your singer has any sibilant tendencies :), avoid the Beta series.

Chris

P.S. Bono (not the "Sonny" one) has used either a SM58 or Beta 58 for
his studio vocals. Tom Petty has used the SM57 and Beta 57 too.

yeah... i believe we're going through some sort of low-end mixer into a PC... A Mackie, or Beh, or something like that. but i don't know exactly, but it's along those lines. Part of the reason why i wanted to get a decent vocal mic for it, and one that could also work on guitar cabs, possibly. but primarily vocals.

hmmm, guitar cabs eh? i'd recomend the b1, or the b3. i've been using a b1 for vocals for a while now and it has worked well. will definately be worlds above a beta58. and i consistantly throw it in front of my guitar cab and it works as a good condenser for guitar. but, i would also throw your 58 up there with it when recording guitar. good luck

tf5_bassist said:
yeah... i believe we're going through some sort of low-end mixer into a PC... A Mackie, or Beh, or something like that. but i don't know exactly, but it's along those lines. Part of the reason why i wanted to get a decent vocal mic for it, and one that could also work on guitar cabs, possibly. but primarily vocals.

The mic will only do so much. Sometimes you will find that your 100.00 shure will do a better job than your 2500.00 neumann. It all depends on the room, the vocalist, and the person who is mixing it all down. Just remember what sounds good in the mix may not always sound good as an independant track. So try a few different mics.

yeah... i understand this... Unfortunately, we're all relatively broke, and can't afford to go out and buy four or five mics just to try 'em out for a home demo session. So basically, looking at one mic, primarily for vocals, and if possible useable for other things.

But I think that right now, I'm leaning towards the AT3035 or the M-Audio Luna...

Here's my 2 cents. Have'nt tried the Luna. The AT 3035 is a good deal for the money, and does a lot of things well. Also, it's made in Japan, and not as sibilant as many of it's Chinese LD brethren.

Get a B1 and if you can find one, an Electro-Voice RE15, RE16, RE18,
or EV 635a. The EV's will sound at least "good" on any singer-as long as the singer is! The B1 will be handy for cutting though a dense rock mix BTW.

Between two of those and the SM58, you'll have a lot of bases covered IMHO.
Especially for untrained voices, the human voice differs quite a bit day to day.
Plus you get into issues of singing different keys, etc.

Chris

P.S. The B1 works fine for me without any ssssibilance.:)

Get a couple of mics, look around and see what you can score. The B1 is widely used, Richie is very keen on the C2000 but not the C1000 or C3000 - avoid - and there's a tonne of mics you could look at to spend the rest on. Get a couple of choices and ... who knows ... when you get down to it ... you may just prefer that Beta.;)

I'll second the vote for the ADK A-51 Type III.

I've got a pair...they get used for vocals, acoustic guitar, saxophone, and as drum O/H's in a pinch.

I like 'em a lot. And Larry at ADK seems like a hell of a guy-a little less outgoing than Alan Hyatt, but no less interested in making sure that his customers are happy. He and I have exchanged a series of e-mails over time talking about the Type III's and how I'm using them, and how I like them. He also helped quickly (and for free) when one of my shockmounts failed.

Back