vocal/iso booth plan

vangore

hey all.

im looking for a bit of advice on the treatment of my vocal booth, it is a new construction whichy is finished except for the wall coverings (t&g/cloth), the walls heve 6" green non compressed rockwool at the moment and i am wondering how much of the walls i should leave cloth and how i should go about absorbing the lower frequencies.

1. external wall with 6" green non compressed rockwool .6' wide
2. external wall with 6" green non compressed rockwool. 10' 6" long
3. internal 4"stud with 4" green non compressed rockwool, wiuld prefer to drywall and then t&g this wall for isolation
4. standard 2' 8" door
5. internal 4" stud with 6"wall behind (soundproof) 6" green non compressed rockwool on interior
6. 4' *4' window
7. mic position
8. amp cab position

comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated
booth plan

it's a linkt o a photo on myspace...but you have to be logged in to see it

here's some help

l_2a850eae80dd65151b01d8ab5f437bee.jpg

sorry guys didnt realize that, but the photos there now, thanks orksnork. il post up some photos of the studio when i get a chance.

oh no never, i have a live room if i ever need to do that, also im still kinda confused about dow corning 703, i think it is compressed rockwool, but im not sure,can anyone clear this up for me, im living in ireland so its not available over here.

vangore said:
oh no never, i have a live room if i ever need to do that, also im still kinda confused about dow corning 703, i think it is compressed rockwool, but im not sure,can anyone clear this up for me, im living in ireland so its not available over here.

703 is rigid fiberglass, rockwool is not, but the 2 are very similar in acoustic properties. rockwool is generally cheaper (in canada anyways).

ok then u must mean the yellow stuff that comes as foil covered boards, it turns into dust when you cut it, kingspan and knauf make it.

703 and 705 are brands of owens corning rigid fiberglass...

you can get it with or without foil backing...it's also made by other companies, generally without the number designation

rigid mineral wool (rock wool) is available from a couple of makers with our without the foil...etc.

Correct, rock wool and fiberglass are equivalent accoustically. The important thing is the density. You want between 3 and 5 pounds per cubic foot.

Put heavy drapes in front of the window and speak toward a corner of absorbers with bass traps on opposite corners.

Attachments

• L_2a850eae80dd65151b01d8ab5f437bee.jpg
    L_2a850eae80dd65151b01d8ab5f437bee.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 66
Innovations said:
Correct, rock wool and fiberglass are equivalent accoustically. The important thing is the density. You want between 3 and 5 pounds per cubic foot.

that's a rather broad generalization...Certain types of one are equivalent to certain types of the other...

That's not to say that fluffy pink certainteed r13 is better than 4" rigid rock...

but i think he got your point

Innovations said:
Put heavy drapes in front of the window and speak toward a corner of absorbers with bass traps on opposite corners.

the purpose of the window is to be able to see into the booth from the control room so i would prefer not to have it covered and to heve the vocalist visible through the window

if the vocalist is singing into traps in the corner that should help alleviate a lot of room reflections...

make sure you glass is angled.

its a double window with the vocal booth side angled, well ya singing into the corner would be the easiest solution but bear in mind this is in the process of being built from scratch and almost anything is possible.

Back