Vocal Effects?

jmagaro

Hi, I was just wondering a few things.

When I play/record my music at home (through my Marshall AS50R Amp) my vocals sound a little flat. Last weekend, I was jamming with an old friend. I hooked my Mike into his system (Not really sure what the system was) and my vocals were 10X better. They had better depth and blended in with the music better. The only difference I can see was he had some reverb and eq on.

I asked him what he did to make the vocals sound that way. He really is unsure as he had just purchased this equipment and had not played much wtih it. I tried to replicate this sound on my amp by using a little reverb/eq, but could not get it to sound near as good. Just wondering what the pro's do to get that rich, deep sound?

It's hard to say without knowing exactly what mic you have and exactly what your friend's system is. The devil is in the details....

More details will help, as MadA mentioned, like also wondering what you are recording on as well. Bottom line- you will get varied results from using amplification that is not specific to covering those special ranges of microphone frequencies (if I remember the verbiage of my old college audio/video class). Dial in the highs/mids/lows/reverb best you can on the equipment you have at your disposal until you have a full PA or microphone pre-amp to recording gear type setup, and be glad with what works- your ear is the final judge. Another note- I especially ask about recording because some recording systems provide simulation for mics and whatnot, like a Korg digital 8-track I just forked 1K out for.

Equipment Details

Hi, thanks for the replies.

It is a sony FV120 Microphone, and a marshall AS50R amp. I am using a standard soundcard to record.

Just for the hell of it, I plugged the microphone through my efects processor (Zoom 504II) and it seems I get the right sound(Rich, deep and clear)....but I need that baby for my guitar!!! Without it, the vocals are flat, and somewhat hollow. Is there any other way to get that sound??? Will a new microphone help?

I just researched your mic online, and it looks like a regular consumer-quality mic. I'd suggest getting something better, maybe starting with the ol' faithful Shure SM57.
Your soundcard will need upgrading if you really get into recording seriously. Most stock soundcards are crap as far as recording is concerned. That's not that you can't get some decent sound with it. But eventually...

Shure..

Called a few local stores...Cant seem to find a shure, but samson and EKG's...are these good brands? Will the microphone make that much difference (for the $)

That's surprising, Shure is pretty much an industry standard, but to each music store....anyway, EKG is good from all my dealings but Samson I'm less familiar with. Good luck, jam on.

Preamp

Hey notbrad, good suggestion, I am guessing that thats what my zoom box is doing is basically pre-amping it? Will a better quality Mic mean I dont need to preamp?

Preamp

Hey notbrad, good suggestion, I am guessing that thats what my zoom box is doing is basically pre-amping it? Will a better quality Mic mean I dont need to preamp?

Every mic needs a pre-amp of some kind. What you have in your Marshall is a pre-amp, but apparently not a very good one.

Thanks..

Madaudio, thanks for the advice. Can you recomend a pre-amp? All the reviews I read about the Marshall were glowing, not sure why I cant get it to work without a preamp..

Back