vocal effect question

greeno_04

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out what kind of effect this guy is using. Im sorry its a horrible cover but its the best example i could find. I just like the way the effect sounds, i have messed around with some echo variables: delay time, mix depth, and feedback gain, but i cant seem to match it. Im really new at home recording, i just bought my first mic about a month ago so i'm sorry if this is a stupid question, any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScMASOyZ1B4

PLEASE HELP, THANK YOU !!! :)

It sounds like he is using reverb and compression.

It also sounds like he squashed the hell out of his soundtrack with an L3 or a plugin... I had to turn the volume AAALLLLL the way down to listen to that track.

The rest is all in the delivery: how he is singing it...

Sounds like a ton of compression to me. Mouth noises (lip and throat smacks) are just as loud as vocals. That means it is way too much compression.

Sounds like a ton of compression to me. Mouth noises (lip and throat smacks) are just as loud as vocals. That means it is way too much compression.
I have a feeling the converters on youtube had a lot to do with that. And he probably is using too much compression.

Back