Vocal Effect Help

DClipperton

Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to help me replicate the vocal sound on the Causeway song "We Were Never Lost"
I can tell it's doubled but that is definitely not everything.
Any tips would be awesome.

Cheers!

Listening on the internal computer speaker at work, it sounds like some pretty common techniques. Check out the Haas effect. This works best when you record three identical takes. Each take will be a little unique, which enhances the effect. You'll want the main take dead center. Pan the other two takes equal amounts left and right. This is where the Haas effect comes in. Nudge one of the secondary tracks between 6-12ms early. Nudge the other secondary track 6-12ms late. As soon as you do that, you will hear an added dimension to the stereo spread of the vocals. To take it one step further, try pitching the secondary tracks by a few cents up and down respectively. Most of the time, that will enhance the effect. You could do this with 5 tracks. 1 down the center, two panned to different amounts to the left and two tracks panned by the same amounts to the right, etc.
If you only have one take, you can duplicate the take and use the same steps, although the effect works significantly better with unique takes.

Another trick that might get you there alone, or in conjunction with the Haas effect, is chorus. Try recording two identical takes. Effects like chorus and doublers are best used in parallel as opposed to directly on a single track. Leave the original track dry and up the center. Insert the chorus on the second track. Leave the vocal panned to the center. The chorus is going to take care of the stereo spreading. Adjust the settings on the chorus and level of the parallel track to blend it with the original. You can try stereo imagers in the same way, as well. You'll want to play with the levels of the panned tracks to dial in the amount of the effect that gives you the result you want.

Hope this is helpful!!

Back