vocal compression?

by the way thank you again. im more confused then when i started but im learning and thats all i really want to accomplish anyway. :D

perhaps you should read a little about the plug-ins you've spent so much money on ;)

different compressors use different level detectors. basically just because both compressors are Waves, doesn't mean jack. that's like saying any Fender guitar will sound the same, because they're all Fenders.

How can you expect to use these tools without knowing how they work? i don't mean that you don't know how to use a comp, i'm just saying all these comps have different characteristics and you can't use them properly if you don't know how they work.

and i don't think it's the 125hz roll-off that has affected the EQ of your voice. how far do you stand from the microphone? it's either that or you're using the wrong mic for your voice. try re-recording standing closer to the microphone.

do you understand how a compressor works? what all the buttons do? do you know what compression is? it's easy to have some sort of abstract thought of what a compressor does but unless you understand precisely what each parameter does and how it will affect your sound, you're gonna have a hard time getting anything to sound good.

read the waves documentation..read about how different compressors (VCAs, Opto etc) work and then try again. you'll find things much easier when you understand the tools you've got to work with.

oh, and i'd redo those vocal parts if i were you, and try to get a "fuller" sound. try and move closer to the mic if you're standing further away. if you're not, try moving the mic, or try a different mic.

im pretty close to the mic. it's a neumann mic connected to a eureka presonus preamp. and i know what all of the settings do but i havent heard what all of them do or at least the way that i probably should have. your right i probablly should read the diffrences between the two. i was more amazed then anything at how drastic of a diffrence it was. i thought the diffrence would be way more subtle. i dont have my manuals and everything... i lost it doing the hurricane. i took all of my hardware though luckily. i have the mic placed in a corner the room i have soundproofed with auralex foam. i am about to try sticking my mic along the wall instead of in the corner and i'll let you know my results. thanks again.

i just did a new version of it. can you tell me if i made it sound better or worse in your opinion. i took off some of the eq i had going in and i also took off the roll 125 roll off. thanks i dont mean to tie up your saturday. this is the highlight of my weekend. how sad is my life. :rolleyes:

if you've lost your manuals, you can download them for free off the waves website.

how close is "pretty close"? give me a figure...1ft close? 1" close?

just had a listen..sounds much more workable than your first take. i would honestly get as close up to that mic as you can, to get a fuller (fatter) sound spectrum. compressing will help thicken it up if you do it right, but this does sound better than your first clip.

is there any eq on this at all? or is that clean? are you tracking with eq? i would suggest tracking clean, and then applying eq subsequently. also try being off axis to the microphone, as there will be a drop-off in higher frequencies as you move off-axis.

i've used the same mic you're using once or twice before and always found it to be very bright and brittle..but it's still a good mic and i'm sure you can work with it.

yeah i was like 2 inches away close. :D and no there's no other e.q. added to it. thats a relief that it sounds better. that time i actually did record slightly off axis... i almost rapped across the mike instead of directly into it. nothing extreme though just on a slight angle.

i didn't try for too long.. but i attempted to go off of the settings that you used for the first take... and of course it didnt work. but i lowered the threshold to start off with. i'll keep you updated on that also.
the snippet i posted isnt actually a song or anything im just attempting to practice so eventually one day i can stop paying engineers and just pay to get it mastered.
i dont know if your an artist also but but engineering and recording yourself is tireing after a while.
it's like somehow it drains your creative energy and it's especially hard for me because im never happy with my finished product.lol. hopefully in three months my compression problems will be a memory. :rolleyes:

This is why you can't ask "what compression setting should I use for rap vocals" or whatever. It changes from take to take, person to person, compressor to compressor, etc. See?

And yes, I've found that focussing on the technical side of making recordings sound good can definitely sap creative energy. That is why I recommend people decide which they would rather do, if you want to take it seriously anyway.

i take it very seriously. it's just the mixing i consider more of a hobby but i cant do with out the other really. so even though i do perfect takes or finish a song i get pissed on occasions because im not satisfied with my sound. then i go to some studio that people refer me to and the quality is just barely better then my quality. and usually the equipment is inferior then the stuff i have. then in conjuction i remeber i just paid for that. that usually takes my focus up a level from hobby to a obssession.lol

Back