Vocal Booth

Bagged Taco

After reading many posts i have a good idea as to what i need to do.. But my question is what do i use for a door? im on a budget i dont need a $15,000 door.. I only want to be able to isolate any sounds not in the vocal booth to stay out.. im not as worried about sound coming out.. not that it makes a difference it works both ways heh..

Any other advice would be helpfull ,diagrams, pictures..At this point im thinking of something about 4ft square..

Also what type of final walla treatment is best? Carpet the whole thing then put my tiles in?

Thanks

Hate to see any post get no answers at all, even if it's just UFO :=) JK, let's see if we can get a start -

First, square is bad, unless you're the carpenter that wants to use whole sheets of paneling without cutting them. Better to make it 3.5 x 4.5 feet, with ceiling height NOT close to an even multiple of either of the other two dimensions. 3.5,4.5,7.5 tall works reasonably well.

Second, carpet is bad, foam tiles are slightly better, rigid fiberglas covered in cloth is better yet. Floor hard, walls/ceiling absorbed with compressed fiberglas.

If you intend to breath while you're in there, you'll need to consider a ventilation plan - check this thread out for some ideas (I had lost track of it and didn't see the comments on noise til just now, so you might want a smaller fan)

http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76913&highlight=squirrel+cage

As for a door, if you can find a fairly narrow (less than 36") solid core door like the ones for between attached garage and house, then maybe add a couple layers of sheet rock to that, making sure that you seal around the frame with high grade elastic caulk, it should be pretty quiet. Anything that won't float won't stop sound, so sealing is important everywhere.

BTW, the reason you can put an air vent in a soundproof booth has to do with multiple bends in the duct with absorption in the bends... Steve

Just ordinary itchy pink fiberglass works well also, but cover it with cloth.

I used an old glass exterior door...double pane glass. You can get these fairly cheap at a building salvage kind of place.

I don't understand what you mean by 4 foot square?
Doors aren't square. The rough in dimensions for a single exterior grade steel insulated door are approximately 32-1/4" x 82-1/4", more for a 36" door of course. You'd have to check with the manufacturer for exact dimensions.

I would think any solid core or insulated fiberglass door would suit you well and could be had for $200 or so.

Back