Vocal Booth!

djjonblade

Im fairly skilled at carpentry and would like to build a vocal booth, any suggestions on design or tips on construction?

hey man i have heard of gus taking three old doors and hinging em together in a corner ...but you say you're handy? well then, from much advice i have got from friends who built there studio they told me somethings.
first fram up you're walls how ever big a booth you want(4 ft x 4 ft is plenty big for a single vocalist) then cover the outside with sheet rock, oh yeah dont forget to frame for a door if thats what you want on it, a heavy storm door can be got used and will keep sound out if thats nesisary. after you caver the out side tape the seams and cover it again then stuf the cavitys on the inside with insulation then cover the inside walls finish the walls what ever way you're gona then on the inside cover the walls with sound foam it will sound great my friends is sweeeet! oh dont forget to make some way for you're cables to get in and out...
need more advice just ask.

Hey Reco, yeah my main concern was the cables, should I use those flushmount wall type fixtures, also I want to put in a plexiglass window, and a duct for a cooling system! anymore ideas?

Go with the flushmount design. It's easier. A window is nice cause you can signal from your recording source. Remember those small romms get hot fast so do put some type of moving air source. Try to run this from a dedicated circuit so you don't get a bleed through into your power line to your recorder.

so tell me, are you going to be recording the vocals while you are recording other instruments? if so, i am sorry to say that a simple sheetrock wall design will be totally inadequate for the jog. no matter how much foam, or carpet, or insulation you use, it won't stop low frequency sound waves from getting to the mic. Also, the walls will vibrate at their own frequency. Go to this link for more info on resonant frequencies and sound waves in general.... www.silcom.com/~aludwig this guy has some decent ideas and is very smart concerning sound waves. I have some material advice that will create a 50dB wall for you. 1/2" particle board, 1/2" of a product called Firtex, and 1/2" sheetrock. You will need to apply all three to each side of the wall for a 50dB wall. if you only do one side, you will have a 25 dB wall. 50dB though is about as good as any mid-size recording studio will offer. you can also do a double wall design with about 12" between the walls. this, along with the materials above can create up to around a 110dB wall!!! but if you were to just put this material on one side of one wall, and the opposit side of the other, you would probably get about a 75-80dB wall. That would serve you quite well for most any recording environment. Good luck.

Thank God Im not really into musical instruments is that what you guys go through?
no Im just recording one liners and catchphrases for a couple of tracks just about all my equipment is on the computer, (fortunetly for me)anyways I thank you for your reply as I did learn my (something new for the day) peace

Back