vocal booth size

Mikeeley

this might sound stupid but...

i have a very small vocal booth.. almost like a closet. its about 3X3'' its completly covered in aurelex.. i have the mic in the booth facing the door and the singer stands at the door and sings in the booth. ive been told small booths are bad. ive also been told they are good. i havent tried much else because i spent all that money on the foam i didnt want it to go to waste.

is this bad?

Do you like the quality of the recordings coming out of it? If you do, then it's not bad. If you are having problems with the recordings, then obviously, it would be a bad thing. The most important factor about the booth is isolation and not getting the sound bouncing all over hell and creation. If you are achieving that and getting what you want from it, you should be OK.

There are those far more qualified than me to answer this, but I don't think I am far off...

i'd say worry about it being a comfortable atmosphere first. Can you stand in your vocal booth comfortably with auralex sticking out at you, a mic/music stand, and anything else in there??? if you don't like it, your vocalists might not like it. you don't want people to feel cramped and claustrophobic in there.

yeah

it sounds decent though i havent tried much else... also, i dont think it makes people uncomfortable simply because they stand at the door and sing IN the booth so they arent actually crammed in the booth along with the mic stand (i connected a small mic stand to the ceiling and it hangs down) so it doesnt take up much space. people actually tend to like it because in most studios they are facing a window where everyone watches them. and that could be a bit nerve racking im sure. but ive never tried another room because im scared of having bad reverb. i just wasnt sure if the size of the room would make it sound worse then if i were to have my booth in a larger room.. my live room for example. its much larger about 20X20. would that be a better place to try vocals?

(i also cant really determine if its the booth or the mic making it sound almost... harsh. i am working with a akg c3000 though so im sure thats the start of all my problems ha)

Back