Vocal booth option

I suppose it might be useful if you're recording in a large room that's just way too reflective and you want a dryer sound.

Would probably work great if you needed just a little extra isolation when tracking several things in the same room; could serve as a makeshift gobo.

But I honestly can't see it being in any way a substitute for tracking in a good room. I can imagine things sounding very dead, hollow, and boxy in that thing. There's no real broadband absorption, so if you're tracking in a smaller room, it's just going to kill all of the high-end reflection and do nothing to tame the standing waves, so you could be looking at a very dull sound with uneven bass response. Would probably be no better than a walk-in closet.

Again ... I can see this being very useful in a larger room if you want to tame some of the reflectiveness for a given track.

macthedoulos said:
what do you guys think about this vocal booth option???

http://soundbooth.us/index.htm

They seem pretty spendy to me. If you are handy at all, or have friends that are, you could attempt to build something like that, and save some money, if that's what you want. My recording room is a bedroom, with lots of junk in it, and the tv is on the opposite side of the wall where I need to put my mic. I made a simple 3 walled structure to hang blankets on, and even draped one on the top as some more sound insulation. It's open in the front where I come in, and just basically insulates me from some of the outside noises I was getting before.

As chessrock said, unless the room is really bad, or noisy, you should be able to make something yourself.
Ed

Back