Vocal booth ~ any use ?

grimtraveller

If only for a moment.....
There's generally been a negative reaction to the idea of vocal booths over the years, so I was quite interested to see this video and think again on the subject.
What do people think of vocal booths of this kind ?

I could sure make good use of one in my apartment. I can really project at times, then settle down to a comfortable level when my voice loosens up. Currently, I have to pick my hours when I know my neighbor is not in, and still I find myself holding back. It's uncomfortable and I can't really put the feeling into my performance that it needs.

In this video: There was a marked difference. I actually liked the singing vocal before and after. I thought the room didn't sound too bad and could be worked with. The booth singing vocal was very dry and sterile but I'm sure that could be sweetened.

The voice-over in the booth sounded as expected - it's great for that.

There was a young man about 5 years ago on youtube who made similar out of the white plastic waste pipe and fittings. Much lighter than that steel one. But exactly the same principle. I think the acoustic blankets cost the money.

Found it gt. Have a butchers.

Last edited:
Yeah. I'd be goin' the PVC route. I think another advantage with the PVC is not having directional threading to contend with. One less hassle. I'm also tempted to screw a 1x2 strip across the top of my room's wall on the neighbor's side and just hang the blankets from that. Hell, if we're allowed to nail pictures on our walls, why not.. right?

Yeah. I'd be goin' the PVC route. I think another advantage with the PVC is not having directional threading to contend with. One less hassle. I'm also tempted to screw a 1x2 strip across the top of my room's wall on the neighbor's side and just hang the blankets from that. Hell, if we're allowed to nail pictures on our walls, why not.. right?
I purchased some of that pipe and fittings for new dishwasher before xmas. o_O:oops:o_O:oops:o_O:oops: Nothing cheap anymore Spantini. All rocketed in price recently.

The 3/4-inch (19 mm) PVC is going for about (U.S.) .65 / ft. right now. Plenty available.

Last edited:
There is a view that you don't need a full chamber, and that those little boothettes that wrap around the mic are just as good.
This is probably true. You can even make a home made one, using padding in a cut down box. Hanging up duvets is cheap and non permenant.
You know I'm an esmono man for drums, but I bought a second one for my dining room, so I could sing badly in private. A gaggle of pensioner neighbours
would sit just over the fence outside my dining room. It was all about privacy. I can try to find something good about my singing, without the humiliation.
Booths do several things:
They keep noise in. You can play whenever you like.
They keep noise out. (vehicles,children playing, bird song, strimmers, the wind, etc)
They control reflections.
A DIY solutiuon will probably only do the latter.

There's generally been a negative reaction to the idea of vocal booths over the years, so I was quite interested to see this video and think again on the subject.
What do people think of vocal booths of this kind ?
"IF" you have problems with external noise it may make sense..I built a small isolation booth and used it for a bit but in the end it became a closet because I just didn't really use it that much, I was able to control the external noise in my main room to a point where it ( at least for the non professional recordings I do) not necessary..For sure it is cool to have total dead silence in a vocal booth but it get's tight and lonely in there..a small 4 x 4 x 7' tall room.

Back