Vocal assessment

Right - music teacher's hat on then. The display shows the length of the notes you sang left to right and the pitch of the notes on the vertical axis. I'm not going to talk about the quality of your voice, but the musical technical aspects. The snag you have is pitch acuity. Basically, you know the tune - like the Star Spangled Banner (forgive me I'm a Brit if it's not called that) You know the tune goes up, so you go up - but by quite random amounts - there are 12 steps in an octave, and that melody might go up 5 notes on the piano keyboard, using the black and white keys, but you went up 3 instead - then you knew it came down, and missed the right number again. You started the melody and went through lots of different keys, and you didn't notice. They're called intervals and really important, and while some people naturally hit them without thinking, some people can only detect up and down and not how much. Most people miss the occasional interval, and they can be taught to improve quite easily with practice. The worst case is you didn't hear the misses, and had no idea - and that perhaps means music isn't your thing.

What you need to do is quite simple. Find a local singing teacher and book a single assessment lesson - it's money well spent. They'll play a note on a piano or guitar and ask you to sing it. They will then repeat this, and perhaps even use a finger to point higher or lower. They will then be able to assess if there is hope, or not. They will be honest. Most people can learn to pitch, but some people just can't. Hopefully you have a trainable ear. The display shows that your vocal clip covered quite a few notes that don't really exist - some were just a bit wrong, some quite a way away, but your problem seems to be intervals. Do you have a keyboard? play a note, sing it, and ask somebody to tell you how close your pitching is - if you know somebody who won't say that's wonderful (friends always do)

If you are keen to sing and put the effort in, seek out a local teacher - they are everywhere. Fingers crossed

It is odd.
After the first look, I thought the names of the notes were on the left and right sides, but they are not all there.
I would expect if you sang exactly the right frequency for each note, the trace in the middle would show largely horizontel lines.
We see curves there, as you drift between notes.
Nobody has ever called me a singer, but I usually sing with a guitar, to give me a framework.

Back