VO studio setup: Right or Wrong? What say YOU?

voiceguy

I've been a writer, director, producer for 30 years and throughout my career I've also worked as a voice actor. Now, I'm looking to do more VO work. Over the years, I've learned to rely on the sound advice of engineers. (No pun intended).

I have a home VO studio consisting of the following: 4X4Vocal Booth (vocalbooth. com / Silver series). Neumann U47fet mic, ProTools LE & M Box, MAC Intel computer, Universal Audio 710 amp., pair of KRK "Rocket 5" speakers, hybrid phone patch. I have a deep, baritone voice with good flexibility and can read from Movie Trailer deep to mid-range DRTV easily. Since putting together the above package, I've been having trouble getting that crisp, clean sound out of my system. When I bounce my ProTools sessions to mp3 (which is how I send my audition scripts to clients/48k @ 256) I get a less than great sound. It sounds a bit muddy and doesn't have that great, crisp sound with plenty of bottom and mid pop. I guess I'm not hearing the punch. I've been told that I may not be using the right mic pre. Although my U47fet is one of the most sought after mics, I wonder if it's the best mic for me. Also, a lot of VO guys I know say they love the Symetrix 528 voice processor. Not sure if a piece of hardware like that has any advantages over the ProTools EQ, compressor/limiter, reverb, etc. that it comes with. All I do is voice work, so I'm interested in knowing what you'd recommend. What strips, pre-amps (tube or transistor) would you recommend, based on your experience?

Although I'm not a novice, perhaps the big questions here is my lack of experience working the EQ, compressor/limiter, de-esser and other controls within ProTools LE. The UA has no controls for these items, so I'm doing it all inside the ProTools software. Software vs Hardware...any thoughts? I'd like to know what experienced sound recordists / engineers think about using the ProTools LE software to EQ, compress and limit, as opposed to a piece of hardware (Amp/strip). Am I missing anything?
Much Obliged

voiceguy,

Welcome to the boards. If you haven't already, you may want to consider duplicating your post on D.B. Cooper's VO-BB (just Google it) to attract some VO-specific feedback. I'm one of a few voiceover producers who haunt around this site; most of the feedback you'll find here is from very knowledgeable folks who are accustomed to recording sung voice and/or instrumentation.

Frankly, it sounds as if your chain (U47 - UA710 - MBox - Mac/PT) is of fine quality. If the punch and/or clarity are missing, here are a few thoughts:

1. If they are not already installed, corner blocks in your booth may help. In my experience, the Silver line VB's come ready-to-record, but can sound a little boxy if not properly treated. This can also depend on where your microphone is positioned within the booth; try shifting the mic location.

2. If you dabble in the software compressor within ProTools (which is sufficient), go easy.

3. The U47 has a huge proximity effect, which usually works on baritone voices. If it's too "boomy" for you, other popular options include the U87, TLM-103, Sennheiser 416, and RØDE NTG-3.

4. I'm familiar with the Symetrix 528, but think this would be a step back from your UA710. For VO, keep the preamp simple and clean. Personally, I use the preamps in my Apogee Duet 99% of the time. When I use an outboard pre, it's a Focusrite. Several other VO guys I know use Avalon M-5's or Grace 101's.

5. Seek out Bob Souer. Similar voice to what you're describing... ask him about his rig and what recommendations he might have.

David,
Thanks for the input. I appreciate your advice and will reach out to D B Cooper, as well as Bob Souer.

When I bought the VB Silver unit, I tried adding a bit more acoustical inside. It really altered the sound negatively. However, I didn't try the corner blocks. What would you suggest to start with; two? four? Placed in the upper corners?

I have long been wanting to demo a Sen. 416 shotgun, just because they are so popular and a lot of guys have one in their primary mic arsenal. IF I decide to buy one, what are your thoughts regarding a good source for a used one?

I work in the VO industry, at a high-profile talent agency.
We have the same booth in addition to our two recording rooms, which we use for ISDN work, and would suggest possibly adding some bass traps to the booth (especially in at least one corner); and if you can get a Sennheiser 416, that will automatically give you some extra cut-through for trailer work, etc., and help you to match existing work that may have been recorded with one.
The 710 is a fine preamp - we more commonly see Avalon or Grace or Apogee or other very clean pres, since the UAs are usually more colored.This coloration, combined with the LDC and the boxy booth, may be creating what you're hearing as a muddier sound.
DB Cooper is a great resource - I'll also recommend George Whittam at El Dorado Recording Services, as well as such sites as VoiceOver Universe, Voice123, or any of the many other voice actor resource groups.
They are great for providing tips, networking, classified ads, etc., that are specific to the needs of VO actors.
Also, since you're in or near a major metropolitan area, CraigsList is a great tool. I found my 416 on my local CL for half of what a new one would have cost (and made a good networking connection in the bargain).
Good luck in your venture!

David,
When I bought the VB Silver unit, I tried adding a bit more acoustical inside. It really altered the sound negatively. However, I didn't try the corner blocks. What would you suggest to start with; two? four? Placed in the upper corners?

Ideally, look for an elongated bass trap that can run down the corner seam at least 2'. Start from the top corner and work your way down until you get the deadness you want. You can build these yourself by cutting some 3-4" strips of OC-703 rigid fiberglass, stacking a couple together, and covering with fabric. Then just pin them to your booth or attach with foam adhesive.

I agree that Craigslist would be a decent place to find a used 416. You might also call some local production studios to see if they have any they want to part with (plus, you could go by and test them in one of their booths to ensure you like the sound).

...I'll also recommend George Whittam at El Dorado Recording Services...

Yes, yes, yes! George is an AMAZING resource and always willing to share his expertise. He goes by "soundgun" on the VO-BB, or you can find him directly at http://eldorec.com/

WHYS / KINETIC...
Thanks very much for the professional advice. ALL very good ideas and I'll start working on them immediately. WHYS: Thanks for the links, very helpful. I was recording a VO for DISCOVERY today, in Miami, and was working in a larger room (designed by Burgess) with an Avalon pre and a U87A. The sound was superb. My voice sounded great and we were recording flat, as is their custom.

I appreciate your valuable input. Very encouraging! Thank you.

Back