vm200

ALLY

i can't getanysound through the adat outs to my computer, going to a sb platinum. i get sound going through the mic ins but none of the digital ins on my soundcard so i'm guessing its something i have to set on the mixer. I didn't have any problems going to my vr 800 on the adats. i was gonna try to send something through the monitor outs to the spdif ins on the computer but somewhere in pressing buttons i seemed to have shut it off, Is that possible?

VM200

Use the ST BUS (Stereo Bus) if you don't want to use the SPDIF out.

I suggest the SPDIF it's cleaner.

Terry

i'm really trying to get the adats to work, but i cant get get anything into the computer. ihooked it back up to my vr800 and it worked fine. i don't change anything but the word clock on the mixer. i don't know if the word clock even has anything to do with it? i'm kinda stuck? maybe its the sound card, i really have no idea. any suggestions? the only reason i was trying spdif was to see if it would work

Hhmmmm....the sync could be a problem. Does the sound card require ADAT sync?
If so, then you have to find a box or add on card. Also, the word clock should be able to be unplugged from the VR800 and pluged into the sound card...is the sample rate the same in both the card and the VM200? It needs to be. The card usually has selectable sample rates.

Terry

yes i have set the sample rates the same, but i dont think there is a plug for the word clock on my soundcard, would that be on the add on card or box? what xactly is adat sync? thanks

Any digital info. needs a clock sync of some sort.
ADAT sync can be sent through the ADAT pipe....I think....on equip designed with that purpose.
What sound card do you have?

Terry

i have a sound blaster platinum 5.0 (stop laughing!), i don't think they had recording in mind with this card when they made it as i'm finding out the hard way. i know there has to be a way but i think the adats were designed for some sort of surround sound speakers, but adat is adat is adat right?sound blasters' menus are wierd, if you go to enable the inputs in the record settings it doesn't even have a listing for adat. anyway i feel like i have tried all but it's probably some tiny little thing as it usually is with me. i get confused onthe settings of the clock on my mixer it has adat 44 and 48, int 44 and 48, and word 44 and 48 which the manual doesn't describe very well for beginners. if i set it on anything but int 44 it starts flashing
"wrong word in clck" and ican't do anything, but with the vr800 hooked up its the same except i have to set it at word 44. it should be way easier than this, plug and go! thanks for listenen to the beginner bs.

ally

Chaps, the SB Platinum does not have ADAT channels, it has no way of interfacing with the VM200 or the Vm800 through ADAT. However, what you can do is:

Set the VM200 (or VR800 you don't need to use the VM200) to route through S/Pdif and connect the spdif out in the vm200 to the spdif in on the SB Card. Use the sync through SPDIF, check the manual - it is there! Play the track(s) you want to record, remember that if you want to record all the tracks on to individual channels you'll need to do this for each track (recording each track individually - to get this to work you may need to use MTC /MIDI time sync, unless you feel happy enough that you can do it manually afterwards - which I have done without worry; the sync can speed up if the sync is not set correctly on MTC; but it is the better option). Read pages 81 to top of 86 in the VR800 manual if you are going to use the vr800 only. here it shows you how to set your vr800 ADAT's to spdif's (see point 3 on page 83 - ...desired type of digital signal...

You are limited by the SB Live! I have one and use it for CD mastering. You'd be better off buying a RME hammerfall or something similiar. If you are still having problems reply to the post and I will check where in the manual and on the sound card you need to check settings for you. Hope this helps

thanks rish, for takin care of the rookies. this will give me somethin to work on for a while, i appreciate the detail and will post back if i have any problems

Ally,
I was about to tell you about the SB/ADAT but you know now. Since you've got ADAT in your mixer, go to www.RME-audio.com and check out the Hammerfall card. It would be a perfect match to your mixer and it has the lowest latency in the industry - 1.5ms. RME also has a PC optimizing section that's good for anyone with a PC.
Chuck

Back