VLZ versus digital???

seriousturtle

i'm wondering, after reading tons of posts in here, if it's smarter to get a digital mixer (such as a tascam tm-d1000) or a nice analogue mixer with a nice mic-preamp (mackie 1604 VLZ Pro). i plan to record into my computer, but probably can't afford a digital soundcard. the VLZ series has an incredible preamp, which im sure is tons better than the tascam. but is it smarter to record into a digi mixer, so the analogue converts quicker and cleaner into the computer, or is that not a big issue?

~the turtle

Actually the TM-D1000 has 4 XLR and 4 1/4". If you could afford it, i would suggest you but a TM-D1000 and Mackie 1202VLZ for submixing drums or whatever - i have that setup and i love it.

Eric

i have a fostex d-90, which has 8 ins and 8 outs for individual tracks. so i would use the mackie for the eight ins, and use a second snake to route the outs into the other channels on the mixer, but listen to those on headphones when recording other instruments. i am recording everything on my own (guitars, vocals, percussion, maybe drums and a pennywhistle or recorder), so i don't need a huge complex mix to worry about. i'll be recording one track at a time, and maybe 2-4 at other times when i get together with other musicians.

~the turtle

this is biting me too. haven't found an answer yet. can buy a promix now for about $600. what do you think?

guhlenn

I myself use the 1202 when I "TRY" to record to PC.
Reason being for it's most excellent pre-amps!

i know the mackie is getting good reviews everywhere, it only makes the choice harder...

IF i only had money, MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!

:( looking at my bankaccount i drown in a deep depression:(

greetz guhlenn ;)

i know what you're saying. i am looking at the 1604 vlz pro, but when am i ever gonna need 16 mic preamps of this quality? i'll probably never need more than 3-4, assuming for some reason i need more condensers. but i like the other options on it.

are there any mixers that are really good aside from crappy preamps? cuz i might just want to get a good 16 channel mixer, and a decent mic pre, maybe the cheap ART tubemp or something really simple like that. you know what i'm saying?

~the turtle

?????????????????????????????

why do you want a mixer then?

you cannot imagine using 16 channels??

NOT?

buy a cheap board and a aardvark direct pro then...

IMHO

greetz guhlenn;)

no no no. i need at least 16 channels to work with, but i don't have 16 condenser mics. i just have a fun rode nt-2. i want the channels to eq plenty of tracks, for mixing, and for some novice mastering. but the reason for preamps is only for mics that need the power, right? or am i off here? keep writing to this thread, it's helpful. wish there were some moderators in here to help with the discussion though. i'd love some other opinions to get a variety of responses. by the way, just read a review of the mackie 1604vlz in electronic musician, and the guy gave it a smashing review. he loved everything about it. he ended up with a list of pros and zero cons. that's comforting to hear.

~the turtle

your wrong.

all mics need preamps. some mics need phantom power. condenser mics need phantom power. so you NEED preamps if you wanna use mics and not limited to condensers...

if you got the cash buy the goddamn mackie it's great! don't hesitate i'm looking all over the web for a cheaper mixer but i always end up reading that the mackie is the best in it's class and above...

greetz guhlenn

Back