Visuals Flat In Sonar 5.

chrishisey

I have no idea what to call this problem... My computer crashed halfway through a recording session.. i had to do alot of punch in's on guitar and need to edit a few of them.. but my computer crashed right after saving.. and now were the visuals are (the wave peaks) are just a flat line... still plays right in the time line.. but Make's it hard to see were one starts and stops without paying attention to all the milliseconds... any way to rebuild the tracks?

chrishisey said:
I have no idea what to call this problem... My computer crashed halfway through a recording session.. i had to do alot of punch in's on guitar and need to edit a few of them.. but my computer crashed right after saving.. and now were the visuals are (the wave peaks) are just a flat line... still plays right in the time line.. but Make's it hard to see were one starts and stops without paying attention to all the milliseconds... any way to rebuild the tracks?
I have had this many times. I assume you see a flat line in your track view and can hear sound but can not see the wave form? I have exported the track to a program like sounde forge, added a bit of compression, I mean the least amount possible, then brought it back into sonar and the wave is there no problem. Just alter the property of the wave slightly and it reappears.Probably not the right way but it does work. Some people here say to increase your picture cashe to like 200 or 260. I have done that and it has not helped. The problem sucks. :(
Jim

I've seen this b4 in older sonar and CPA versions. I fixed it by wiping out the picture cache.

also, is it possible that you have a second track masking the first one? Can you drag that clip to a new track?

I agree with Crosstudio, this is the result of your picture cache (where the waveforms are stored). However, you don't need to wipe it out, since eventually Sonar will redraw them on its own and replace the oldest ones in there.

The way the cache works is that it stores pictures of the waves - up to the capacity of the cache. When the cache gets full, Sonar will overwrite the oldest files and replace them with the current ones. For some reason this can sometimes take quite awhile.

You can help the situation by devoting more of your hard drive space to the waveforms. To do this, go into the Sonar "aud.ini" file using a text editor. Find the line that says PicCacheMB=20 and raise the 20 to something like 100 or 200. (The more the merrier, depending on the size of your hard drive.) Then resave the file under the same name.

That should minimize the amount of times this happens.

alright:

Bouncing doesn't work. There is no sound on sound making.

Porting it to sound forge (witch I have done before I posted this... but useualy only when something needs to be edited) works.. but I do worry about compromiseing the sound file.

I'm pretty sure the picture catche might being it back if i wipe it out... but I think the pictures it stores is getting errors due to the improper shut down of the program..

I was figureing there was a redraw feature that would just redo the trick.. I havent been able to find a answer that works in any f.a.q or cakewalk boards becides porting it out to a sound edit program.... maybe it's just a crappy bug and thats the only way.

yup. that's the ticket. i haven't had to do it in sonar5 so far, but did it plenty in older sonar and CPA releases.

Back