Visual tempo (BPM) studio light - adjustable

mbrines

Hi everyone, Mo Brines here from Concord NC. I've been running a moderate studio for over 20 years and have a question for all of you:

I find some artists that record in my studio have an issue with tempo (BPM). I've tried various ways to help them; Determine a tempo for their song, add a click track so they can record along to it, suggest they work at home to a metronome and then come back to record. Many times, if it's a solo artist, their timing may not be of huge importance to them. But, other times many artists come back to either want myself or others to add instrumentation to their recorded song.....and alas, there is an issue with much extra time being spent to try and follow their out of tempo recording. Also, in fairness, many musicians simply state they do not want or cannot play to play to a click track.

My idea is to have a tempo-adjustable metronome that simply flashes a light in my studio. I would want the light mountable on one or more of my studio walls. For example: It would be great to have a white color flash for a 4 count count-in, then the first beat to have a different color (blue) than the remaining beats (green). ie; 4/4 timing would have a white light flash the count-in, then a blue light on beat one and the remaining three beats would flash green. The colors choices aren't really that important, but the count-in, first and remaining beats would be best suited with 3 different colors.

Is there any such product available that you may be aware of ? I don't want to use a tablet or phone, as I want control at my control desk to set the tempo and have the light(s) flash the tempo and whoever is in the studio, they can easily see the tempo, without having a click track in their ear.

This may be a product I need to build, but why create the wheel if anyone knows of a product like this.

Thank you ahead of time for your help and ideas, Mo Brines

I've thought of doing this, but on a small scale with a regular metronome. If you're good with electronics, I'm certain you can rig up an LED to flash to a click track?

I've thought of doing this, but on a small scale with a regular metronome. If you're good with electronics, I'm certain you can rig up an LED to flash to a click track?
I did finally find a couple things on the web that talks you thru using MIDI to activate an external metronome. It's just figuring out what to use to trigger a light at the selected BPM and also colors in the light. I normally use my Roland DR880 to set and record a click track, it has MIDI, so will try to figure something out with that. Thank you.

Back