virus protection

jimistone

long standing member
I just received a laptop that I purchased on ebay. It's a windows 7 enterprise OS. It dosen't have virus protection software.

Amy suggestions?

Avast. Get the free version only - they sometimes try and 'persuade' you into getting the paid version by making the button for the free version grey and the paid version bright green.

+1 for Avast.

However shut it down entirely and turn off your wifi when doing any serious sound stuff.

I have been using the Malware Bytes paid version for about 5+ years (paid only once) and I don't even bother to turn it off. It is a very price worthy product and it doesn't seem to impact performance. You can also use ignore folders to keep it from scanning your project areas.

I would recommend 2 complimentary software products. As a professor of computer science and former director of one of the world's largest supercomputing centers, I won't recommend specific products but will tell you that on the computers in my studio, I have Symantec and MalwareBytes. Each does a full scan every day during hours I am sleeping. Each is pro-active 24/7. I never need to turn them off when doing sessions (I do turn off Carbonite and Smart Sync Pro when recording - I use Studio One Pro, fyi). This combination has been very successful for me personally in terms of antivirus/malware and backups on the PC systems running Win 7 64 bit Pro in my studio.

Been using Avast free for 6 years without a hitch. MS Security Essentials allowed that stupid Conduit thing on my computer. Horrid to get rid of, so I switched and have been happy since. :D

Just to be clear, Avast has never caused me a problem if I leave it running while doing recording...but it's my policy to have NOTHING running in background when doing serious audio work--and it's a policy which has stood me in good stead for many years.

As mentioned, I keep my DAW completely off line when working as well...going online is only for downloading files or software to do with the DAW or uploading mixes for clients. If you don't need to be online for recording, why risk it?

If you don't need to be online for recording, why risk it?

Good point....I keep my DAW permanently off-line....and therefore have no need to run any AV software or do any security updates or any of that junk. :)

I find it much easier safer to use a plain-Jane laptop for the interwebs and typical BS, and I just keep that loaded down with all the AV and patching BS. If I need to download/upload anything for the DAW, I just use the laptop and a flash/external drive to move stuff between them....been doing that for years and never had an issue or found it to be a hassle.

My subscription for Norton's expired not too long ago. Thought I might change for something better and googled the best anti-virus software.... Norton was consistently at the top of several comparison reviews. I do everything with my one computer. Never had a problem.

All just FYI... YMMV... BYOB... ETC... LoL... OMG... WTF.... TTFN.... STFU....

The primary AV that I use is Symantec Endpoint Protection...or also McAfee Enterprise on work computers.

I never disconnect my daw machine from the Internet or turn anti virus off, even when running large projects, with no issue whatsoever.

99.999% of the time that's true. However, sods law is that the 0.0001% chance will come into play either when a client is watching or you're recording something that can never be repeated...or both!

99.999% of the time that's true. However, sods law is that the 0.0001% chance will come into play either when a client is watching or you're recording something that can never be repeated...or both!

His name is Murphy in the US, but he is still the same dude! But yes.

If your laptop is running Windows Vista or higher, please use Microsoft Security Essentials. 3rd party AV is asking for trouble. Also, please be sure to make the proper exclusions, no matter what you decide, for directories, file types, etc. AV kills performance when improperly configured. I would personally go so far to argue that it just doesn't belong on critical equipment which should not be used for general purpose computing. That said, there is a happy in-between', as I said, be sure to properly configure what ever you use. There is no install and forget it solution if you want to keep peak performance *and* use the AV solution real-time. Best of luck.

I'm curious why you recommend Microsoft Security Essentials? Every reputable tech web site I can find puts it at the bottom of the pile in terms of effectiveness and higher up the list in terms of possible system issues with it running in background.

Totally agree about the proper use of exclusions and the desirability of not having AV running on critical equipment--and I consider recording to be critical.

I have used Microsoft Security Essentials on my wifes laptop and it works fine, I did have it on my xp pro laptop but microsoft stopped supporting it, never had a problem.

AVG works well but slows down the start up. Trend gets a good rap from some computer guys.

Alan.

As I said (and many techs seem to agree), MS SE allows things through it should not. Enough reason for me to avoid it like the plague.

Another vote for SE (sorry Bobbs!) here.
I have had it on my W7 PCs, 3 of them now, for 3 years at least and never a problem. I do run Malwarebytes now and again and it sometimes finds "things". How nastly they really are I could not say.

I do have Avast on my sole remaining XP Pro machine which sits under a printer/scanner in my living room and uses a 32" Sony TV for display (sound is via an ESI 1010e rack "card" and a couple of modest but fairly decent powered speakers. Why? Long story, won't bother yous unless you ask!) I find Avast a total PITA to be frank, always crashing in to update or beg for money.

Off now to Google "Conduit"!

Dave.

I recommend MS SE primarily because it is free (to an extent), written and supported by the same company that writes and patches the OS. I also recommend it because it is configurable and effective in my experience when used correctly. That pretty much it. Security, like other computer conversations, can be lengthy discussions, quick and dirty, MS SE has worked well for me and clients over the last several years. Best of luck!

Back