Virtual midi patchbay for windows?

progmr

Does anyone know whether a virtual patchbay is available for Windows? I have seen one created by Pete Yandell at: http://pete.yandell.com/software/midipatchbay/Read Me.html but do not see anything that works under windows.

My issue is that I'm currently controlling the parameters on Guitar Rig (volume, effect on/off, etc) via FCB1010 foot controller and am using an audio-to-midi converter and routing the midi siginal through Maple virtual midi cable to Hypersonic for my sax. This configuration allows me to have both the synth sound from hpyersonic and guitar rig effects at the same time. The problem is that I would like to also use the FCB1010 to control various parameters on Hypersonic but since it is set to listen to the Maple virtual cable it cannot see it.

Any suggestions or ideas are welcome.

Thanks!

I have that application but have only used it to monitor the midi signals from the FCB1010 and Maple. I don't recall functionality to do midi merge.

I wish I was being funny, but I really don't get it. I've tried to use Midi-Ox at least six different times. You make it sound simple, but it makes no sense to me. There is a black hole in my brain on the subject of virtual midi patch bays.
I even had Jamie O'Connel trying to help me on his chat room. I really would appreciate some kind of tutorial from someone who thinks it's brilliantly simple.

It's a lot more than just a midi patchbay. Midiox is the best midi swiss army knife I have ever used. Midi patchbay, filter, sysex tool, processor, analysis, you name it. It allows u to even use your computer keyboard as a midi keyboard

I wish I was being funny, but I really don't get it. I've tried to use Midi-Ox at least six different times. You make it sound simple, but it makes no sense to me. There is a black hole in my brain on the subject of virtual midi patch bays.
I even had Jamie O'Connel trying to help me on his chat room. I really would appreciate some kind of tutorial from someone who thinks it's brilliantly simple.

I'll bite. Give me a run down of your hardware

Last edited:
It's 5:00, you just wait till I get home and fire up my Midi-ox! You boys are gonna have some explaining to do!

No, I don't know how to do that either, guess it's a lost cause. I've spent the last two nights trying to play a midi file through midi-ox. I systematically joined and disconnected every port available to me, and the best response I got were some midi loops which locked my computer. I've actually been trying to use Midi-ox for two years now. That's why I'm stuck in Win98, because Hubis Midicable doesn't work in XP. Pretty sad, I know.

I'd pay good money for a DVD tutorial or travel anywhere for a seminar. I don't know how you guys wrap yourselves around this stuff. I've read every book on the subject. I've used midi for something like eight years now, but I can't make Midi-ox work at it's most base level.

HELP me before I do something rash.................

OK, hardware is pretty simple:

Wamirack 24 (4 physically midi ins, 4 physical midi outs 64 midi channels possible)

Yamaha MU100 sound module 2 in/2 out
Behringer FCB1010 foot controller 1 in/1 out
Behringer V-Amp Pro 1 in/ 1 out
Casio keyboard 1 in/ 1 out
Roland GR-50 guitar synth 1 in/ 1 out (my main input device)

I use (software) XGedit to control the sounds of the MU100
I use Sonar as sequencer
I use V-amp software to control the V-Amp Pro
I use Soundiver to edit and store patches for just about every device.

As you can see, I'm not a beginner, Soundiver is a bitch, but Midi-ox just seems to be some kind of Midi Ivy League Joke. I don't need to filter anything, don't care to monitor my midi streams, don't give a rat's ass about manipulating data. I just want to hook everything up so I don't get the dreaded "device in use" bullshit.

The good thing about midiox is that you can use as little or as much as you need. For example, I can't remember editing a sysex file with it but I use it all the time to store bulk dumps from my hardware synths.

First, if you don't have it already download version 7.0.0.365 here. This will ensure we are working with the same set of tools.

To play a midi file thru midiox, drop the Actions menu and choose 'play MIDI...'. This will bring up a 'MIDIbar' with a folder icon. Click on the folder and navigate to the folder which contains your midi files. Select a file with the .mid extension and it will load into the player. Turn on the left-most box --- the one with the depiction of a square loop --- and turn it on if you want the file to loop.

There is a Yamaha MU100 editor/preset selector built into midiox. The way you get the midi file out of the computer and into the MU100 is by routing the MIDIox event port to the midi out of the computer which is hooked up to the MU100.

Last edited:
Back