Viper and Tube mics?

Henri Devill

I've got a stupid question..LOL..Brain lock:D

The GT Viper and tube mics..Ok the rise time and loading..With the supply between the mic and the pre..does it still a effect the mic...I gotta read up on this I know...but any cool info anyone?

Don

Do you mean the warm up time or the signal path? If you mean the signal path.... anything that your signal goes through can effect the sound and or level and etc.

i used a AT4060 with the VIPRE sounded very good.. i wish i couldn't kept that damn pre but it wasn't mine

DJL said:
Do you mean the warm up time or the signal path? If you mean the signal path.... anything that your signal goes through can effect the sound and or level and etc.

Not the warm up time...True about sig/level/sound.This is about Loading and Rise time
With the Power Supply between the pre and the microphone will you still be able to effect the loading and rise time of the mic?Or will the supply act as a "brickwall" and have the mic react as it usally does...Or will it effect the power suppy and work as it does with other mics?Phantom power doesn't swim up to the mic its self.. so.. thats why I've asked the question. Also Im dense LOL

Don

Last edited:
c9-2001 said:
i used a AT4060 with the VIPRE sounded very good.. i wish i couldn't kept that damn pre but it wasn't mine

If all goes well then thats the vocal mic and pre for this project!
The singer sounds good with that mic..it handles his high mid bump nicely..now Im useing a Grace101 and it sounds good and clean/transparent ect. But it tends to be too abrupt{and not with a agressive edge } to me for this application/combo..The relentless persute of sonic nervana;)

Don

I own a Soundelux Elux 251 and a GT Vipre (my personal vocal chain). You can fine tune/tweak the sound of the mic via the impedance selector and the rise time knob.

Henri Devill said:
With the Power Supply between the pre and the microphone will you still be able to effect the loading and rise time of the mic?

Absolutely. The power supply for a tube mic's job is to present power to the tube/amplifier/etc. inside the microphone. Nothing more, nothing less.

The audio that leaves the microphone/power supply is like the output of any other microphone.

"Rise Time" refers to how quickly the microphone pre-amplifier will respond to the signal presented... loading refers to the impedance match [or mismatch] between the audio output of the microphone and the pre-amp.

All of these parameters will indeed affect the tone and texture of the audio.

Henri Devill said:
If all goes well then thats the vocal mic and pre for this project!
The singer sounds good with that mic..it handles his high mid bump nicely..now Im useing a Grace101 and it sounds good and clean/transparent ect. But it tends to be too abrupt{and not with a agressive edge } to me for this application/combo..The relentless persute of sonic nervana;)

Don
it was a great combo for the singer i tracked.. i never touched an eq other than a roll off at 80-100hz.. other than that she sounded great through it.
the vipre also sounded good with my tlm193, but the 4060 to me sounded cleaner.

my friend got his vipre around $1860-1900. so its not cheap but if you have the money, its worth looking into.. he took the vipre over a manley,avalon 737 and some Fern Pre..

Thanks Fletcher...Im a knob twister LOL..Not too techie..I think I've got a handle on the rise time...kinda like the slew rate of a amp..you can slow it down..right..Sorta sagging the high end/transiant response..Between the impedence/loading and rise time...Im gonna be twisting some knobs:eek: gonna be fun..Thanks for your responce

Don

Last edited:
C9-2001,1900.00..dam cheaper than I've seen them!Did you ajust the rise and impedence?They are about 2400.00 now I belive...But I figure its gonna get alot of use!I can always rent it out to other studios or swap favors..Manley stuff is great ..Vox Box ect. Avalon also..The 4060 sounds real nice with this guy{tenor}..Also have a female vox to do on a different project should sound nice on her also..Its gonna be fun to hear what this pre does for my other mics too...Thanks for your reply

Don

Back