Violin Bass CASE

TaxMan88

Could someone here PUHLEEZE help me find a hardshell case for a violin bass (like Paul McCartney's)?? Not a rectangular case. A molded one like the old Hofner cases. I've checked eBay and about every online merchant, and I just can't find it.

Help me out if you can.

Thanks,
--Tax :D

I wish you the best of luck.........I have a Hofner Beatle bass ('60s) that I finally just bought a gig bag for.The original case was really rotten and broken,so I tossed it.

I can't help you with the case. But I've always wanted a violin-style bass (unsurprisingly, given my moniker)

Does Hofner still make 'em? Are there decent, lower-priced knock-offs? Have any advice for me? I'm primarily a guitarist but would love to have a bass to record and occasionally perform with.

Rogue make sa really cheap knock off. Like $200 I think. Musician's Friend sells them. I won't say buy it from Musician's Friend (god bless their horrendous customer service and employees I'd like to castrate) because as my luck goes, you won't get it within the next few months, but they do sell it.

Jake

Rogue knock off . . .

As much as I'd like to say that I have a true Hofner violin bass, I don't. I have the Rogue knock off. That having been said, I DO have to admit that I absolutely LOVE the thing. Aside from the large ROGUE insignia on the headstock, the thing is a dead ringer. As for the sound, it sounds DAMNED GOOD. And in my opinion, it doesn't sound DAMNED GOOD just for the price, either. It just sounds DAMNED GOOD. Not that it'll blow a Fender Precision out of the water, but in some applications I'll bet it would. It ships with really crappy strings, but I bought a set of D'Addario flat wound strings and the thing smokes with those on it. It's got a really warm lush tone to it and if you do some tweaking on it you can really get a poppy tone. I'm very pleased with it and I believe it was a well invested 250 smackers.

As for Hofner, yes, they still make their basses, but you'll pay about ten times the amount that you would pay for the Rogue. (No, that's not an exaggeration. The Hofners go for about 2000 Samoleons).

Musicians Friend, I didn't have ANY problems with them. I did ask them to pack it a little tighter with styrofoam because I didn't buy the Rogue case. It arrived to me ON TIME and in perfect condition. I highly reccommend this guitar. :)

--Tax :D

Just my warning on Musician's Friend. I bought a blemished item along with a bunch of non blemished items. A week later, nothings happening. I call to see whats up. They say, you cancelled that Blemished thign off your order. I say "I most certainly did not". They pull some bullshit, I end up paying an extra $80 to get the non-blemished one.

I also have to get "Managers Approval, which takes 30 minutes on hold to combine the new order and the original one so I get my 6 months interest free deal. They say they already shipped out the first order. I go online to check my tracking. It went out by 'Truck" and it was 1 lb.

I say to myself, 1 lb my ass. I order 6 mic stands, 4 cymbal stands, and a bunch of small shit. More like 45 lbs. Bare minimum. They also say truck will take 2 weeks, and I was assured it would go out UPS 2nd Day. Thats what I paid for.

Now mind you, I have already gotten the bill from the Musician's Friend credit card to start paying for my shit. On the bill it says that manager's approval bullshit I sat through didn't do anything. I was paying interest.

I call back up, "There's no way for us to combine orders, sorry" I was PO'ed. I yelled at him, and all of sudden it became possible. He said he'd send it out "Platinum Corrections".

3 days later I call up to check on everything, cause nothing has showed up yet, and I'd been getting strange emails about backorders when I never had anything on backorder.

They still hadn't fixed my 6 month deal , and told me to call the bank. Bank says, we can't fix that, they have to. Back to calling Musician's Friend. They assure me it will be fixed. I ask about my orders. They now tell me my stuff was never supposed to ship out on Truck, they screwed up for no apparent reason, and that it won't be there for another week.

They also say my once-blemished item that I had to buy at full price shipped out that day. I wait 5 days, and to my extreme surprise the once-blemished stuff shows up.

Still haven't gotten the stuff I ordered over 2 weeks before though.

Call them back and I am quite pissed. They tell me the stuff will be there soon.

5 days later, I call yet again. This time it seems as if my credit card interest plan problems have finally been resolved. They now tell me that they have to put in a trace on my stuff since I havn't yet gotten it, and they will contact me when they finish the trace. Now they are telling me it shipped out UPS, and they were wrong about the Truck thing.

I am just like, wow you are fucking stupid, all of you.

I call again the next day and yell at someone I'm so pissed, and he gives me some "corporate office" phone number. That guy's name was Roland, and I thank him, he's the first person at that company who gave me useful information, and admitted that they screwed up really bad.

I call the corporate number. Within 10 minutes they tell me what I suspected all along. My order never shipped in the first place. Thats why it said 1 lb, and not 45. He ships me out a new one, and says he did it Next Day UPS. He did ship me another one, but he sent it ground. Then it got stuck because of weather from UPS. It got put on some "Suspended" classification. All in all I made the original order on Feb.2. I just got my shit on March 22. And I paid for UPS Second Day shipping. 2 Days never took so long for me ever.

I'm not saying Musician's Friend will do this every time, but they definately just lost a customer. And I still don't know if they fixed my credit card interest plans, I have to wait for another bill to show up.

Jake

Wow, Taxman, thanks for the Rogue report. Due to my financial condition, that's probably my only option at the moment. I saw that bass in the Musicians Friend catalogue and thought, "How cool to have a violin bass - but I'd never buy something called "Rogue."" Keep in mind I probably would never spend more than $400 or $500 on a bass anyway. I will definitely think about the Rogue.

Back