Vinyl sales

Yeah that's been in the news for so long I first heard it reported as an 18 year high, but it would be nice to have a link. ;)

I could understand this if a person stays old school through the whole process. Analog gear, bounce to tape, everything in an analog world. That I would fully understand (keeping it pure). But this just seems like nostalgia.

The only problems with digital right now are, MP3's, over compression and crappy stereos/players. Using FLAC, allow more dynamics and a nice stereo would cure that problem, and be better than LPs. (I hated cleaning, removing static, and flipping those things over).

Yeah, I kind of agree, I don't see the point in taking digital recordings and pressing them to vinyl, just seems like a waste. But since I record to tape, it's my hope that someday I'll be able to do all-analog mixdowns and get a lacquer cut. Takes money, though...

Yeah, I kind of agree, I don't see the point in taking digital recordings and pressing them to vinyl, just seems like a waste. But since I record to tape, it's my hope that someday I'll be able to do all-analog mixdowns and get a lacquer cut. Takes money, though...

That I understand. If you're going to be old school, be OLD SCHOOL! :)

I'm still really happy to hear that people are buying more vinyl, even if they are digital albums. Listening to a vinyl album signifies much more of a commitment to the music than mp3s do. When you put on an LP, you're usually in it for the long haul with the album --- not just checking out the newest Beyonce joint. And that, to me, is a good thing.

Yup, I agree. You used to buy a record, have friends over and sit down and listen. It was an event all on it's own.
music wasn't an afterthought like it exists now.

Real music, real speakers, even a favorite listenimg chair. That's what vinyl brings to the world. Nuttin wrong with that.

"20 year high"......that's a great spin to put on something that doesn't really exist. 20 years ago, it was 1995. Vinyl was already dead. There is no "Vinyl Renaissance".

This is what this "20 year high" actually looks like:

What the Vinyl "Comeback" Really Looks Like... - Digital Music NewsDigital Music News

Looks like the beginning of a comeback to me. Digital killed analog in the early 90s, as this graph shows. Of course the graph looks heavily lopsided that way; there was no digital alternative before the late 80s. Now, although there has been the digital alternative for years, it's started steadily increasing once again, with the last year (by the looks of the graph) increasing by almost double.

Of course no one is saying that vinyl is going to be as popular as it once was. But considering the fact that it's gone from almost nothing ten years ago to --- what looks like on the graph --- what? 15 or 20 million units last year is nothing to sneeze at, IMO. It makes me happy to see, anyway.

Looks like the beginning of a comeback to me. Digital killed analog in the early 90s, as this graph shows. Of course the graph looks heavily lopsided that way; there was no digital alternative before the late 80s. Now, although there has been the digital alternative for years, it's started steadily increasing once again, with the last year (by the looks of the graph) increasing by almost double.

Of course no one is saying that vinyl is going to be as popular as it once was. But considering the fact that it's gone from almost nothing ten years ago to --- what looks like on the graph --- what? 15 or 20 million units last year is nothing to sneeze at, IMO. It makes me happy to see, anyway.

Yeah, you got a point. I'm not that excited about it either way, but I'm certainly not anti-vinyl or anything like that. I just don't think the numbers warrant calling it any kind of comeback just yet. Weather it's the beginning of something or not, we'll know in a year or two probably.

There is more stuff being released on vinyl, which makes us with turntables happy.
Now if only they would reintroduce 70s pricing....now that would make me really happy.☺ I have fond memories of going to tower records with 20 bucks and coming out with enough virgin vinyl to keep me busy for a few days.

There is more stuff being released on vinyl, which makes us with turntables happy.
Now if only they would reintroduce 70s pricing....now that would make me really happy.☺ I have fond memories of going to tower records with 20 bucks and coming out with enough virgin vinyl to keep me busy for a few days.

If only! Thing is, when CDs came out, they were about twice as expensive as records were, right? But these days, CDs are so incredibly cheap to press compared to vinyl, and people have caught on that vinyl really is the premium format. I know they can cost more, but $20-25.00 isn't that much to spend for a well-mastered record.

Say what you want, say what you will, I hated getting my ass up and flipping the record. I spent hours making my cassette mix tape (with auto reverse in a wood case) so I could get an hour of uninterrupted music. Same thing with my reel to reel, it had auto reverse and even though the higher speed had better sound, I used the slow speed. Cause I wanted to listen and not clean and flip.

I like new technology, I don't care that much for MP3's only because the gain isn't worth the loss, but now with large HDs, and plenty of storage (wave, flax), I have no need for vinyl (keep it, 78's too). The old days can stay where I remember them. (I do spin my vinyl when I am in the mood, like twice a year ;) )

"20 year high"......that's a great spin to put on something that doesn't really exist. 20 years ago, it was 1995. Vinyl was already dead. There is no "Vinyl Renaissance".

This is what this "20 year high" actually looks like:

What the Vinyl "Comeback" Really Looks Like... - Digital Music NewsDigital Music News

Those are RIAA stats. I'm sure you're right that the "comeback" is exaggerated, but RIAA doesn't go into flea markets, used record stores, indie stores, yard sales, ebay, bandcamp merch or any other person-to-person sales which comprise most vinyl transactions.

Those are RIAA stats. I'm sure you're right that the "comeback" is exaggerated, but RIAA doesn't go into flea markets, used record stores, indie stores, yard sales, ebay, bandcamp merch or any other person-to-person sales which comprise most vinyl transactions.
If vinyl is indeed making a come-back, that resurgence should show up in sales of new pressings. I don't doubt that there are significant numbers of vinyl sales in flea markets and so on not counted by RIAA, but I also expect that most of those sales are dealing with secondhand stock, and are just recycling what has already been pressed.

For a vinyl renaissance to take place, the reasons for its demise in the first place need to have disappeared. The CD killed vinyl as effectively as streaming and the like are killing the CD, but the demise of the CD doesn't give vinyl a reprieve. Its competition is now not so much the CD, but the internet. My expectation is that vinyl sales will increase, but will remain a boutique product.

If vinyl is indeed making a come-back, that resurgence should show up in sales of new pressings. I don't doubt that there are significant numbers of vinyl sales in flea markets and so on not counted by RIAA, but I also expect that most of those sales are dealing with secondhand stock, and are just recycling what has already been pressed.

Not really, the vast majority of new product is self-released and sold direct by the artist... ebay, Bandcamp sites, artist sites, indie shops etc.

For a vinyl renaissance to take place, the reasons for its demise in the first place need to have disappeared. The CD killed vinyl as effectively as streaming and the like are killing the CD, but the demise of the CD doesn't give vinyl a reprieve. Its competition is now not so much the CD, but the internet. My expectation is that vinyl sales will increase, but will remain a boutique product.

Hm. This seems like a semantic argument. Yeah.. if you're saying downloads will still outnumber vinyl sales, that's a no-brainer. It's not like fans of mass-produced music are all going to run out and buy turntables because it's the "next big thing".. or that most of that stuff will even see a vinyl run. But there is at least a solid economy out there for it which has really never gone away, and that the RIAA is apparently just picking up on.

Back