Vintech Neve 1272 Mic Pre

BuildingStudios

Ive been seeing this pre on ebay for (buy it now) $1200. What do ya'll think of this price? how would this compare to the Brent Averill 1272 pre ... and to the classic neve 1272 pres.

Im looking for a versital pre amp for around $1000 (i would possably spend some more) This will be my only outboard pre amp fr a long time... right now im using the pres in my mackie D8b (which i like... but then again i havent had much experience in pres) My biggest requirement is that i could send more than a few (read : all) tracks through this in one mix and keep some decent separation bettween tracks.

If any of you have any better suggestions for a first upper level pre (versitility is key... this will get alot of use) please feel free. I do want 2 channels though.

Well first, I think you just have to decide if you want Neve-type transformer Class A color, API-type color, tube color with transformer color, transformerless tube color, transformerless Class A color, or a transparent/colorless type.

For a first "all-around" preamp, I usually recommend a "transparent" type with REALLY high heardroom; the FMR RNP or DaviSound "Mic-All" is what I have in mind. Thses also REALLY fulfills your requirement about using a preamp exclusively for ALL tracks and not having a tonal build-up mess.

By the way, I haven't used the RNP, but there's good reports from ears I trust. I do own DaviSound gear.

But if you're simply aching for "color", decide which type you want!

I own the Vintech 1272, as well as many other preamps of equal or greater value. I would not hesitate to recommend the Vintech as both a great preamp purchase to add to a collection, or as a first high quality preamp. You will find it fabulous on kick, snare, bass, and electric guitar, and it won't embarass you on vocals.

It's got great features - including both input and output gain controls, LED metering, and the usual collection of hi-pass, polarity, and phantom switches. My only criticism with mine was that the DI jacks on the front are a little flimsy.

So my only concern in your post is the price. I bought mine for about that same price new a number of years ago, so I'm not sure if that is such a good deal for a used piece. It may well be that prices have gone up, and $1200 is a bargain, but it would be worth calling some pro audio dealers to see what kind of price you can get on a new one. I can give you some numbers to call if you PM me. If you can get a brand new one for only $100 more, for example, I'd go with a new one with the full warranty.

So while you have many choices in preamps, the 1272 is a very good deal at it's price point, and I doubt you would have any regrets if you chose to get one.

My Vintech1272 doesn't have a hi pass filter. I paid $1250 for it new from Guitar Center. I always offer less than the asking price on everything I buy and Guitar Center seems pretty responsive to that. I think at the time the listed price was $1350.

thanks for the replys ...

Not that more suggestions arent welcome .. but as of now im really looking at the vintech and the davisound tb-6. one of my concerns is obviously geting the most for my money. Logic would dictate that if there are 4 pres in a box (about $200 a pre) compared to 2 pres in a box (say $500 a pre) the pres in the second would be higher quality. And since I really only need a 2 channel pre amp... Is this logic faulty?? Would i really be geting higher quality pres going with the vintech...??? or is quality not as much the issue as versitility?? i dont know?? help.

by the way... if any of you have any other pres in this price range that i should consider please dont be shy :)

BuildingStudios said:
Is this logic faulty??

In this particular case, yes. The real logic here is that we're REALLY talking about apples and oranges here... Actually think more of the two you're considering being COMPLETEY on the opposite sides of the spectrum. We're talking VERY "colored", which is VERY cool to VERY "transparent", which is VERY cool.

You just have to decide which way you want to go.

By the way, if you decide on DaviSound and would rather have only 2 channels, there's a 2-ch. version of the TB-6 in a different cabinet with DIs and VU meters (TB-10) and goes for about the same price... In fact a little more. You get 4 channels in the TB-6 because the extra 2 channels costs very little in parts and extra labor, so they through it in for the good bang for your buck ratio. It's the "labor and craftmanship" you're paying for.

You just have to decide which way you want to go.

I am just curious, but why is it so necessary to answer this question? Why do you have to have all "colored" pres or all "transparent" pres? Why wouldn't a mix of the two types work? Suppose he goes in one direction now with his funds, but a year later he wants to add to the possible selection of preamp sounds at his fingertips. Why is that such a bad thing?

You may want to try the Toft Audio dual mic pre/compressor/EQ
when it comes out pretty soon.
The street price is estimated at around $1000.
Should be a top class unit.

Chris

Roybot said:
My Vintech1272 doesn't have a hi pass filter. I paid $1250 for it new from Guitar Center. I always offer less than the asking price on everything I buy and Guitar Center seems pretty responsive to that. I think at the time the listed price was $1350.

Roybot is 100% correct - my bad!

I wrote the reply from a laptop outside the studio, and for some reason visualized the front panel incorrectly! Sorry!

(The rest of my opinion on the unit I will stand by...)

darwin said:
I am just curious, but why is it so necessary to answer this question? Why do you have to have all "colored" pres or all "transparent" pres? Why wouldn't a mix of the two types work? Suppose he goes in one direction now with his funds, but a year later he wants to add to the possible selection of preamp sounds at his fingertips. Why is that such a bad thing?

Darwin,

He didn't mean deciding for all eternity. Variety is a wonderful and desireable goal, but in a typical home recording scenario, most folks don't go out and buy a half dozen different outboard units all at once. More often they get one decent unit which will be their only good outboard pre for the near future. That's why RE was suggesting thinking about what overall sonic qualities would be most useful in that situation.

The Neve name is bandied about these days like some kind of popular cheese.

All mic pres do not have to have the "NEVE" sound to be great.

you should be checking out several other pres in this process...Old School Audio MP1-A @around $500 a channel...clear clean lots of gain

Grace 101...beautifull sounding....John Hardy M-1...this is a quarter rack pre that'll blow you away

research is important....not to say the vintech isnt everything it says it is...but it has a flavour to it...like all nevealikes

Back