vintage Teac questions

nicarp

Hi, folks--

A couple of questions:

First, I have a Tascam 22-4 deck (mint, only used 10 hours, got it for $35!) and a Teac 2A mixer (similar score) with an MB-20 meter bridge. I also have a Teac AX-20 mixdown panel. Can anyone here tell me how the AX-20 fits into this scheme? Anyone have a manual for the AX-20?

Second, the 1/4" mic inputs on my 2A have threads--what's up with that? It seems like the plug isn't really secure when I put it in there--is there some kind of threaded attachment I'm missing? I'm just using an XLR->1/4" hi-lo adaptor to go from my mic cord to the mixer. Any advice would be most welcome.

I still haven't actually recorded anything yet--just getting it all set up. Thanks very much for any help you can offer!

Nic
www.nicarp.com
www.myspace.com/nicarpmusic
nic@nicarp.com
nic-arp@uiowa.edu

The AX-20 is kinda like a quick mixdown tool where you can go directly from a 4 track recorder, from its 4 outs, direct to the AX-20 (into its 4 ins) and then go out of that, via it's L + R output into a mixdown recorder. No frills. Just a simple gadget to mixdown 4 mono tracks to a 2 track such as cassette, reel, cd-r, computer, md, whatever you have, really. Bottom line: the AX-20 is for mixing 4 RCA outputs (separate tracks), down to stereo (Left/Right) RCA outputs. Record 4 of your tracks on the 22-4, then hook it up to the AX-20, do a playback, then play with the switches and you'll figure it out real fast.

I need clarification. What do you mean that the 1/4" inputs on your 2A have "threads" ? Maybe post a pict ?

Are you using a hi-z cable or adaptor ?

The ax20 was popular when the 2340,s and 3340,s came out cause they had microphone preamps built in and it allowed you to bounce 3 tracks down to one and like Daniel said it would allow you to mix down 4 tracks to a cassette or reel to reel without a mixer.
Its all I could afford back then but it did the job. And I still have it and still use it once in a while even to this day.
Since you have a 2a mixer it is not really needed for your setup.

Back