Vintage Synth Sounds: Genesis, ELP, YES, Moodies...HELP ME!!!

Travers77

First off, whats up everyone! Im new here, first post...just need major help on this, hop[efuly you guys can help!

OK, i play piano like insane, every day...and im in a band, and we love prog rock from the 70s and want to recreate the sound because our melodies would fit it perfectly...

I need a synthesizer from the 1970's progressive age...late 60's, early 70's, that SOUND...you guys know what i mean! That...mike pinder, tony banks synth sound! The kind of synth the early moodies, early YES, early genesis kind of sound!

If any of you guys can give me a name of an old keyboard or something, one that has those simple 10 or so effects that are straight out of the 70's...id much appreciate it!

Please help, any knowledge, any websites...ANYTHING, ive checked ebay just typing in "1970 synth" and stuff, but im not quite sure if this is what i am looking for!

Let me know guys, THANKS!!

I got offered a Yamaha SY-2...is this wwhat im looking for?

Welcome to the forum :)

Check out the "Classic" MOTIF 6 with Vintage Keys. Here are
some .mp3 from the voice library:

Go here and click on the Voice Libraries button scroll down to
Vintage Keys and check out the demo.

http://www.motifator.com/mart/mainframe.htm :)

There's a Motif going for $927.00 on ebay! :eek: damn I wish I
could have got mine for that price, I'd be in heaven. Anyways
worth every penny. Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38091&item=7326320968&rd=1

Cheers,
Ben :D

start looking for info on analog vintage synths.

I doubt there will be a single unit that will give you everything you are looking for, though.

Moog, Oberheim, ARP were huge back then. Sequential Circuits, too.

HTH.

what is this Korg thing? seems like a good price...but am i going to go through hell to get these old sounds?

Sounds to me like you need SonikSynth 2. It's a HUGE (5000+ samples) collection of sound samples, and specializes in all your vintage sounds. You name it, this baby can dish it out. The official website claims it's the largest collection of vintage synths ever assembled into one product. It covers most of your other patch bases too, and has samples created via analog, digital, FM, physical modeling, wavetable, granular, additive, resynthesis, and so on.

The one thing about SonikSynth 2 that might not "float your boat" is the fact that it's a VSTi Library, meaning you need to run it through a computer or laptop and a VST program (Reason, Live, ProTools, Cubase, Sonar) to get it to work. However, if you already have a laptop or even a computer you're willing to gig with then you're good to go, as long as it's got a decent CPU and some RAM.

The best part: you can find it for a mere $300 at your local music shop.

Travers77 said:
what is this Korg thing? seems like a good price...but am i going to go through hell to get these old sounds?

Nope, comes with presets. You can use all the knobs and patch calbles if you want to though.

bsr2002 said:
Welcome to the forum :)

Check out the "Classic" MOTIF 6 with Vintage Keys. Here are
some .mp3 from the voice library:

Go here and click on the Voice Libraries button scroll down to
Vintage Keys and check out the demo.

http://www.motifator.com/mart/mainframe.htm :)

There's a Motif going for $927.00 on ebay! :eek: damn I wish I
could have got mine for that price, I'd be in heaven. Anyways
worth every penny. Check it out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38091&item=7326320968&rd=1

Cheers,
Ben :D

+1

Completely agree.

Kaulback said:
Sounds to me like you need SonikSynth 2. It's a HUGE (5000+ samples) collection of sound samples, and specializes in all your vintage sounds.

I second this. I'm a happy camper with SS2 and it is what I go to when hunting vintage keyboard sounds. A cheapo version could be to get a sampler and get Hollow suns collection though - not downloadable for free anymore. But very nice collection and quite cheap...

SS2 site: http://www.soniksynth.com/ and you can buy it from the guys who made it at http://www.esoundz.com

Travers77 said:
First off, whats up everyone! Im new here, first post...just need major help on this, hop[efuly you guys can help!

OK, i play piano like insane, every day...and im in a band, and we love prog rock from the 70s and want to recreate the sound because our melodies would fit it perfectly...

I need a synthesizer from the 1970's progressive age...late 60's, early 70's, that SOUND...you guys know what i mean! That...mike pinder, tony banks synth sound! The kind of synth the early moodies, early YES, early genesis kind of sound!

If any of you guys can give me a name of an old keyboard or something, one that has those simple 10 or so effects that are straight out of the 70's...id much appreciate it!

Please help, any knowledge, any websites...ANYTHING, ive checked ebay just typing in "1970 synth" and stuff, but im not quite sure if this is what i am looking for!

Let me know guys, THANKS!!

I got offered a Yamaha SY-2...is this wwhat im looking for?
Travers,

As a 70s prog fanatic, I absolutely disagree with the notion that a digital synth with presets will really get you what you are looking for. Specificity is the name of my game....whats yours? Do you just *kinda* want those sounds or do you want the exact sound? If your not as anal as I, then Im sure a digital board would suffice. BUt I can guess that at first you'll think "cool! sounds the same" but after a good couple of weeks you'll notice that the presets and sounds are totally neutered and sound like emulation garbage.

Analog is definitely the way to go, as there are a multitude of 70s synthesizers you can buy right now for relatively cheap. For instance, I purchased my 1976 Octave cat analog synthesizer for 300 dollars, used. You'll have to be somewhat savy in the department of electronic theory, but in reality the tuning procedures for an analog synth could probably be performed by a labor-chimp. If you would like to hear the sound of this synth, you can go to the mixing clinic as I have posted a link to three prog songs I wrote- all of which include the Octave cat, and you can determine for yourself if that sound is what you like. Most notably the last song.

Voltage controlled oscillators and voltage controlled filters will always sound more gut wrentching than microchips like SEMS and curtis chips, and now digital bits and the like which in my opinion, sound much more annoying and thin than the curtis chips which were used in machines like, Sequential circuits prophet 5. Avoid 80's synths like the Pro One. Or prophet 5 80s revisions- they removed most of the discrete components in change for chips.
Some notable 70s synths...

-Arp Axxe (cheap, mono osc)
-Octave Cat (mid 70s, avoid the SRM models)
-Odyssey (nice oscillator design, a little pricier these days)
-Roland SH-1 (a mono synth from 1977 or so..very cool and "individual as no one has really used it (much like the octave cat))
-Crumar DS-2 (one of the first cheap digitally controlled (scaled) keyboards available. Released around 1978. AWESOME synth!)
-Korg Ms20 (patchable, semi modulated and can be manipulated to a large extent...and even has a pitch to voltage converter. 1975).

Keep in mind most of these synths have external inputs so you can run any instrument through the synths filters. I would list more synths, but I feel many are too pricy (such as minimoog)
good luck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64385&item=7326732744&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I dont like later 70's sounds...the only band i like from the later 70's really is floyd, because they stuck to their roots...but i am more a fan of late 60's, early 70's prog, maybe up to 76 the latest.

Once sounds changed on synths to more 80's like, im OUT! Let me know if thats a good one, and thanks so much for the help...i myself am also developing a fanatic lifestyle with 70's prog, but only early 70's prog.

The bands i listsed, their early sounds, i need that stuff!

answer me this one question, all of you.

If i save up

and am willing to wait, and keep my money and time

is screwing every other synth, and buying one single Mellotron worth it?

The mellotrons go for thousands, but i know mike pinder used it in the moodies, and that alone gets me going.

Let me know if the mellotron is the mother of all, and if i should just get that!

also, what insturment is that that the guy in YES uses on siberian katru on close to the edge that really cool noice you know, right at the break in at the start of the song

You do not want a mellotron. They are impossible to maintain. The original Mellotron tapes have all been ported to samplers now anyway. If you had Thousands, I go for a good old (or new) Mini Moog.

I had an ARP 2600 but it got stolen :(

king crimson, genesis, moodies, YES...all used melotron! are you sure a mini moog would get me going crazy also?

i also want it for my dad, seeing as he plays and loved the old stuff too

Must have early 70's keyboard sounds:

Mellotron
Moog Modular (especially series III)
Arp 2600
Minimoog
Arp Odyssey
Wurlitzer
Clavinet
Rhoads Suitcase EP
EMS Synthi (especially for Pink Floyd sounds--used extensively on DSOTM)
Hammond B3 Organ (cornerstone of Emerson's sound)

Moving into the mid-to-late 70's (era of duophony and polyphony) I'd recommend:

Oberheim Four Voice/SEM based synths
Moog Polymoog
Arp Quadra
Yamaha GS1 (you won't be able to find or buy one of these--look into a DX7 or other FM synth instead)
Yamaha CS-80

I'd recommend virtual synths (like the Gmedia M-Tron) for most of this. If you *must* have hardware... prepare to spend serious money or get a decent keyboard sampler like a Kurzweil with some sample banks.

To my knowledge there is *NO* one do-it-all synth for 70's sounds. The 70's had extremely diverse keyboard sounds that ranged from electric pianos, Hammonds, Clavi's, synths, and so forth.

It is actually much cheaper to assemble a collection of kickass 80's keyboards than 70's....

Good luck--you will need it if you aren't using samplers or virtual instruments.

im seeing different types of "minimoog"s on ebay.

Which is THE one i want, for that "fat" sound from the early 70's

THANKS!

You could look for a Roland XV3080/5050/5080/2020 and drop their vintage keys add-in card into it.

This gives you minimoog, arp, mellotron, rhodes, and some fat synth pads and solo sounds - which all are typical of the era.

Emu also released a 1U rack module called a "Vintage Keys" in the late 1990's - which also has the same sounds.

These are the cheapest, most reliable ways to recereate these noises at a reasonable price point.

Back