vintage shure 55?

turtlishous

seconds please!
hey ya all....me and a buddy of mine are diggin around thru his stuff and come across a few sweet mics and were wondering if anyone here would be able to help us find a web site that might give us an idea what they are worth.

wish i had the capability to post a few pics but nevertheless...there are 2 shure 55 and one rca that looks like something that might have been on johnny carson,s desk...

we checked around ebhay and found the shures but no completed auctions so wasn't much help.

You could check shure.com for the 55SH which is the current version of that mic. Nady has one that is similar. Some of the old RCAs had the same look as well. So you might have to question if it is what it is, or if it even works.

First, have the RCA checked out by somebody who knows *exactly* what they are doing, and whom you can trust not to lie to you. It is potentially worth a ton of money. The RCA on Johnny Carson's desk could be worth as much as $15,000 in good condition.
The 55's- OK, time for a history lesson. First, no matter which version they are, they are not worth a lot of money, about $150 max, more likely less. So many of them were made. Mine was used by Doris Day and Roy Rogers, and isn't worth much.
The Shure 55, or "Unidyne", was the first unidirectional dynamic microphone commercially available. Introduced in the late 1930's, it came in 3 versions-55A (low impedence) 55B (middle impedence) and 55C (high impedence). In the middle 1940's, they were replaced by one model, 55S (for switchable) which had a low, middle, and high impedence switch. They were discontinued and replaced in the early 1950's by the Unidyne II (?55SC, I'm not sure about the model number). This was called the "small unidyne". and later simply as "the Elvis mic". It was later discontinued, and many years later (?early 2000's) Shure came out with a nostalgia model, the 55SH, which is based on the SM57 capsule, and sounds nothing like a 55 (which is a good thing). There is a guy in Florida who runs a business called "The Mic Doctor" who specializes in refurbing old 55's, which is absolutely necessary. One, because the colored silk inside the steel housing fades after many years, and can even grow mold, but more importantly because the capsule was shock mounted with foam blocks, which after many years, turn rock hard, or even crumble to dust.
The mic doctor can return the mic to spec, and can provide the archaic amphenol cable that it uses, for a pretty reasonable price. If you do that, will you get a great mic? No. But you will get a piece of history- Douglas A. MacArthur's stirring speech before the invasion at D-Day, Harry Truman's "A date that will live in infamy", Marilyn Monroe's "Happy Birthday Mr. president", the burning of the Hindenburg "Oh, the humanity!" and countless other snippets of history, all recorded on a 55. That's history for you. While Hitler whipped up the masses with a bank of Neumanns (the original voice of terrorism), our guys said it like it was into the forerunner of the SM57, the 55, a mic for working days.
Oh yeah, you'll find the standard thread on a mic stand has changed a tiny little bit over the years, and if you have original 55's, they may not match too well. I found that a mic stand adaptor and a little teflon plumber's tape helped out there. And I pray for your sake that that RCA is the real deal. If it is, I hope you like your new car.-Richie

First, have the RCA checked out by somebody who knows *exactly* what they are doing, and whom you can trust not to lie to you. It is potentially worth a ton of money. The RCA on Johnny Carson's desk could be worth as much as $15,000 in good condition.

Curses...foiled again...I would have gotten away with it too...if it wasnt for those meddeling Kids.
2lsdyy0.jpg

Well, what the hell, Seafroggys, if the third Reich had won WWII, at least you could listen to your Fuhrer through better microphones while you were practicing your goosestepping.-Richie

No, you have your history wrong.

MacArthur operated in the Pacific primarily - Eisenhower made that speech.

And it was Franklin Roosevelt who made the infamy speech. Truman wasn't even VP yet.

Busted- you speak the truth. I shouldn't give history lessons on no sleep. And as small compensation, here's the text of that speech (it was really pretty short)-

"Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Forces:

You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle-hardened. He will fight savagely.

But this is the year 1944. Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man-to-man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our Home Fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned. The free men of the world are marching together to victory.

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory.

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking."

and for your info, that wasn't a speech, it was a letter sent out to every soldier participating in Operation Neptune (possibly the whole Operation Overlord as well, can't quite remember).

Well, I can be pretty sure it was a speech. because it was loudspeaker broadcasted to the entire invasion fleet, including my father, who went onto Omaha beach at 9:00 AM, and it has been claimed by audio historians, (and I don't doubt it) that it was recorded on a 55. I've seen facsimiles of the letter you speak of, and I don't doubt that many of the people involved weren't able to get the audio version where they were. There's a version I've heard that sounds like it's been seriously cleaned up with a digital noise reduction plug-in. This version is as close to the original version as anything I've heard, and I believe it was recorded on a 55, because it sounds like mine. As I said, by modern standards, it's a pretty cruddy mic, but if you want to know what a 55 sounds like on an old wire recorder, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObLeC0NDVCU

Back