Vintage Neumann Mics

PDXROX

I'm in the market for a top-notch vintage LDC, preferrably by Neumann, although I'm considering AKG as well. Does anyone have experience with a wide range of vintage Neumanns? I'm just not sure what the sonic differences are, and there are so many options to chose from.

Basically, I'm looking to add a real jewel to my mic closet, and yes, I know I should just use my ears, but it's awfully hard to borrow a $30,000 pile of microphones for critical comparison.

I record a very wide range of indie rock music, so versatility is a plus. Words like smooth, warm, and "air" come to mind, but not overly bright. I'm leaning towards a tube mic.

Hopefully, you can tell me what years the construction (i.e. sound) changed significantly for various mics, and what the differences are in the similarly-named models. For instance, what is the major difference between a M49 and an M50?

Also, if anyone knows of a comprehensive book that contains this type of info, that would be greatly appreciated. If not, feel free to write your own!

I'm a man of modest means, so a $4,000 mic will be a pretty big investment for me. I'm open to suggestions for newer or cheaper gear as well. BTW, I currently own just 1 junky (free) LDC.

Gracias...

PS - What about new "vintage" boutique mics? Blue, Soundelux, Brauner, etc. Any luck?

You can not buy a vintage Neumann like U47, U49 or M50 in good shape for $4k, nor can you buy a vintage AKG C12 or an Elam 251 for that amount of money.

If I were you, I'd buy a brand new mic for that $4k, you can buy a really awesome mic for that budget.

An M49 is very different from an M50, search the Neumann website.

I haven't used one, but I've heard nothing but really good reviews of the Soundelux mics. Maybe get an Elux 251 used?

With that budget you should call Fletch at mercenary, tell him what you hope to accomplish, and move on from there, or ask Harvey. That's too much money to spend on a mic that has a great reputation, but may have no place in your studio

My advice...get one of the new Soundelux E250. Cardiod only, and slightly less bright version of the 251 for less than $3K. Vintage mics are a gamble, and the results can be very satisfying when done properly, but you are going to pay a lot more than $4K, both in the actual cost of the mic and the money to fix it to make it into a real tool rather than a collectors item. Think double or triple your budget.

Do I understand correctly...you're going from one junky LDC to a $4k mic?

Wow...that's a heck of a step up...!

War

There's a thread or 2 here about Peluso Mics that should still be around. That might be a good way to go. I've also heard amazing things about Lawson, though I've never been fortunate enough to use one.

Warhead said:
Do I understand correctly...you're going from one junky LDC to a $4k mic?

Wow...that's a heck of a step up...!

War

I agree. You might want to think about getting something more budget to see if you're happy with that. If you are, you may not have to spend 4 grand.

PDXROX said:
I'm in the market for a top-notch vintage LDC, preferrably by Neumann, although I'm considering AKG as well. Does anyone have experience with a wide range of vintage Neumanns? I'm just not sure what the sonic differences are, and there are so many options to chose from.

Basically, I'm looking to add a real jewel to my mic closet, and yes, I know I should just use my ears, but it's awfully hard to borrow a $30,000 pile of microphones for critical comparison.

I record a very wide range of indie rock music, so versatility is a plus. Words like smooth, warm, and "air" come to mind, but not overly bright. I'm leaning towards a tube mic.

Hopefully, you can tell me what years the construction (i.e. sound) changed significantly for various mics, and what the differences are in the similarly-named models. For instance, what is the major difference between a M49 and an M50?

Also, if anyone knows of a comprehensive book that contains this type of info, that would be greatly appreciated. If not, feel free to write your own!

I'm a man of modest means, so a $4,000 mic will be a pretty big investment for me. I'm open to suggestions for newer or cheaper gear as well. BTW, I currently own just 1 junky (free) LDC.

Gracias...

PS - What about new "vintage" boutique mics? Blue, Soundelux, Brauner, etc. Any luck?

My suggestion, spend a bit of time to research your desire. Study Neumann history, Microtech Gefell history. Investigate the modern boutique mics. Talk to Klaus Heyne, Tracy Kordy, Fletcher. Think. Ponder.

Only you can decide what that mic should be. You shouldn't make that decision until to have more personal knowledge.

Nathan (and anyone else), do you think the AEA ribbons are also worthy of consideration? I'm a big fan of the RCA 77 and may be biased therefore.

Or are they more hit or miss vs. a RCA 77 or 44?

Chris

If I was lucky enough to be in your $ shoes. I would buy a $1500 mic and a $1500 preamp instead of a $3000 mic. Or, a $1500 dual mic preamp and two real nice mics for $1500. Maybe a LDC and a SDC for variety. Or a LDC and a ribbon mic like a beyer or a good used one by somebody else. Lastly, go with a good dual preamp for $1500, a LDC and a good set of matched SDC's for $1500. Thats probably your best bet that would give you the most options.

I would suggest 48 MXL V990 mics..... or 81 ECM8000's....

.....but I'm not that much of an idiot.... :D Er... uh... I guess I am... :rolleyes:

PDXROX said:

I think you would be much happier with one of these new botique mics than a vintage mic that costs way too much $$$ and then has to be maintained. Soudelux has an outstanding reputation for value and performance.

As stated earlier, you should think about using part of your budget for a nice mic preamp. It would be silly to spend $4000 on a mic and run it through a $200 preamp. Make sure you already have the kickass $1000+ preamap before you drop that kind of cash on a mic. If all you have right now is budget gear then I would suggest buying a soudelux u195 for $1100 and a nice pre-amp like a great river, api, vintech, pheonix, osa, chandler, or john hardy for around $1400. Then I would use the other $1500 to upgrade my converters or monitors or buy a bunch of cool dynamic mics.

Ah, I should have mentioned I already have a handful of good SDC's and solid dynamic mics, decent converters, sweet monitors, and a pretty well tuned tracking and control room, as well as a 6176 pre/comp, which I love to death. Not sure why I've slacked on the LDC, there's just so much to do!

And yes, the top notch vintage guys are a little out of my price range, but not long ago a four grand mic was way out of my league, too. I like to think big! It seems to help.

Also, sdelsolray, you know any good books about vintage mic history, design, etc? Technical electronics do not scare me, so whatever ya got.

Back