Vintage for $400 U-87!! Should I get!!????!!!!????!!

Fender

I have an opportunity to get a vintage U-87 for around $400!! But, there is one catch, it doesn't work. The guy doesn't know what is wrong. I was wondering on your opinion if I should buy it and hope that it could be a small problem and walk away with a wicked deal?? How much do you think it could cost up to, to fix a mic like that?? Would you get it??

Thanks. Adam.

Man!!! Just somehow make sure the entire capsule doesn't have to be thrown in the trash no matter what. That's the most expensive item in it; because... Well... I'm not allowed to say here. But if you really what to know more, do a search the the r.a.p. newsgroup under Stephen Pual and read EVERYTHING he's posted there.

Anyway, if the capsule is still usable (even with modifications, snatch that puppy up right now! When you finally do have the money, take it to Stephen Paul and have him fix-it and modify-it at the same time. It will break you off probably up to 4Xs or more than what you're paying for the entire mic right now; but you'll be thankful to yourself that you did when you finally get it done and back to you.

This is the route I'd like to go in afew years instead of buying a brand-new U87ai. Purchase an old used U87 (even though it will cost me $1k or more) and take it to Stephen Pual and have it modified. It'll come-out probably damn-near twice better sounding than a brand-new U87ai (IMHO) at around the same price or a little more.

Whoa. If you can't get into it to find out what's wrong, then you've spent $400. for a paperweight.

Can you find out its story? Was it dropped? Do you know this person? What if you buy it and it turns out to be good only for XLR connector parts? Is he going to help you out or is it tough?

I had a chance to buy a Jaguar XKE in 1978 for $2500 from a dealer. It was red. I had it up to about a hundred when I learned what a mistake it would be to own the damnn thing. Dodged a bullet.

Don't lose your cool over this. It's just a microphone and one that works is worth more than one that isn't going to work.

well I went and saw the mic. It is in pretty god condition, no dents or scratchs just kinda dirty. He said that he thinks the problem is a transistor problem???????? Is this easily fixed?

Adam. I lowered him down to $350.00 canadian!!

Hey Fender, if you don't take it, let me know. I'm another Canadian who would be interested in it.

OOH. How about an alternative, say, no pepperoni on the pizza for three years? Kinda phase it...

Just put a cheap mic inside the housing and impress the heck out of your clients for next to nothing. Heck, what do they know?

Back