Video: tracking of "Farewell".. HD!

Wow. I love the songs. Is there a bass? (I'm listening through laptop speakers so it's hard to tell) If not, maybe there should be to better define the chords. It would make them sound more final. I really like the sound you got out of the kick. It almost sounds like a sample. It's really punchy. Another thing I was taking note of was your mic placement which is far ahead of anything in my realm of possibility. I have one mic for every job. Can you explain the use of two mics on the guitar? Not only that, but were there two pop filters on the vocal mic? Aside from the technical jargon, I want to say that I think the girl singing with you has a beautiful voice. Your two voices blend very well.

As for the video, it is well put together. I edit my own videos through different means when I make them (which is few and far between now) so I understand the trouble that goes with it. You most likely are dealing with a more professional video editing program that myself, so it may be less of a chore for you but I always find it hard to sync. You've done a wonderful job of that here. That's just about all I have to say. Keep it up!

-Adam.

The guy with the beard plays the bass sometimes, from what they told me. So I don't know. They haven't played live much, yet. But in this recording, nope, there isn't a bass at all.

This was recorded at my school. They have a Yamaha Recording Customs drum set there, and the kick was mic'd with a Shure Beta 52 and a 15" subkick to capture 'lower' lows.

I can't really think of much else I would use two mics on. But I love using two mics on acoustic guitars. The way a guitar sounds through two different mics at two different spots sounds drastically different. In different listening positions, the levels of all the different harmonics will be at varying levels. I went with the 57 there to capture some more lows, trying to use proximity effect to my advantage. I think it worked. Then the AKG 414 on the higher frets pointed toward sound hold to capture some more 'detail'.

Oh, that's not me singing. It almost could be, though, because my voice and his are very similar. So are our whistles. And I've been told we resemble one another a bit in looks, too. Kind of scary. Yeah, they are great vocalists.

The only reason for the two pop filters is because I don't trust that little one that came with the Blue Baby Bottle mic. So I basically just assumed it wasn't even there. :P

They just got Media Composer at my school recently (no hardware, just software) and I've been tinkering with it, trying to get the feel for it. So that's what I used for the editing. I compared the waveforms from the camera audio and the mixed song to get them in sync. Also just judged by watching their movements.
Getting to use a nice camera helped, too. It's a Sony HVR-Z5U.

Thanks for watching it and for your comments and compliments, propman! I appreciate it.

This is very good. You all look so young and old and wise :-)

Do you really get something out of the double mic on the guitar? Try a double mic on the vocal. Off the top of my head I find acoustic guitar needs taming and another mic is only going to "phase me out man"! But, the guitar sounds sweet (on stereo headphones).

As soon as the drums kick in the sound is missing a bass guitar.

Thanks!

Yes, I would prefer a bass as well. But, they don't want their stuff overproduced. I'm not sure what all they'll be doing live.

That's another reason two mics on acoustic rock. You can get a great stereo image for this kind of music.

I don't really feel there'd be a need for double mic'ing the vocals. I did do that with a guy last night just for comparison's sake.

Young = check
Old = .....
Wise = check

:)

I was joking about the double mic on the vocal, but I guess you would need to be "old" to "wise up" to that "infantile" point :-) (smiley means I'm still joking).

But if they feel bass is "overproduced" I would suggest they leave out the drums.

The guy with the beard plays the bass sometimes, from what they told me. So I don't know. They haven't played live much, yet. But in this recording, nope, there isn't a bass at all.

This was recorded at my school. They have a Yamaha Recording Customs drum set there, and the kick was mic'd with a Shure Beta 52 and a 15" subkick to capture 'lower' lows.

I can't really think of much else I would use two mics on. But I love using two mics on acoustic guitars. The way a guitar sounds through two different mics at two different spots sounds drastically different. In different listening positions, the levels of all the different harmonics will be at varying levels. I went with the 57 there to capture some more lows, trying to use proximity effect to my advantage. I think it worked. Then the AKG 414 on the higher frets pointed toward sound hold to capture some more 'detail'.

Oh, that's not me singing. It almost could be, though, because my voice and his are very similar. So are our whistles. And I've been told we resemble one another a bit in looks, too. Kind of scary. Yeah, they are great vocalists.

The only reason for the two pop filters is because I don't trust that little one that came with the Blue Baby Bottle mic. So I basically just assumed it wasn't even there. :P

They just got Media Composer at my school recently (no hardware, just software) and I've been tinkering with it, trying to get the feel for it. So that's what I used for the editing. I compared the waveforms from the camera audio and the mixed song to get them in sync. Also just judged by watching their movements.
Getting to use a nice camera helped, too. It's a Sony HVR-Z5U.

Thanks for watching it and for your comments and compliments, propman! I appreciate it.

Sorry. I kind of just assumed that it was you.

That pop filter does look a bit skimpy huh? I see your point.

I never though of the double mic thing before. That may be because I only have one. Do you do any panning between them or do you keep them centered?

I've been using windows movie maker a lot. It's not great. I've started using reaper (which just got the capability) but it crashes a lot in that mode. My computer really isn't built for it. I usually have to use my friends computer. Here's something I edited for my cousin's birthday a few weeks ago in reaper if you want to see something I've done.

Thanks for all the info!

-Adam.

I panned them about 75 L and R, I believe.

You can edit video in Reaper?? I didn't know that. Pretty cool vid! Love the acting by the older folks, and the song. (your acting is good, too.. I just don't often see "regular" older folks doing acting like this! I like it. haha)

Last edited:
Sweet song & performance. the stereo field from the guitar mics is nice though the thump is a bit big once the drums come in.
I think a bass would work fine with the drums. Just bring the bass in after the 2nd minute or so so it's before the drums & carve a little space for it between the guitar & kick.
Adam, you nana is a classic & your dad is a hoot.

Sweet song & performance. the stereo field from the guitar mics is nice though the thump is a bit big once the drums come in.
I think a bass would work fine with the drums. Just bring the bass in after the 2nd minute or so so it's before the drums & carve a little space for it between the guitar & kick.
Adam, you nana is a classic & your dad is a hoot.

Agreed, on all counts. :)

Wow. When I first heard this on the other post I could have sworn I heard a bass, but I see now that I was wrong. I like this alot and I like how the kick drum sounds in there. Is it louder than it was at first? It didn't seem like it stuck out as much on the first one I listened to.

Sounds like you got this stuff down real well. I enjoyed it.

Have a good one.

Back