Video freezing in Cakewalk PA9 or Sonar anyone?

Synth2k

Have any of you had problems with video freezing in Cakewalk Sonar or CakewalkPro Audio 9?

I'm using a Pinnacle DC30pro on Windows98.

If video captured by the DC30pro is imported into Cakewalk or Sonar (with audio tracks). The video will start to play back when you hit play, but stopping the video will cause the system to freeze. Sometimes the system will freeze while in the middle of playing the video, and providing playback is able to continue to the end of the clip, the system will freeze as soon as the video is done playing. During this time I should note that no audio can be heard either.

I should also note that this only happens when you have an audio track playing alongside the video. If you import video without importing the audio tracks the video plays back fine. As soon as you add audio though, the system freezes after only a few seconds.

I'm not quite sure why this is happening, I am truely stumped! I even removed all cards from my system, except the DC30pro and my main AGP video card (a Hercules Dynamite TNT2 Ultra), thinking I was having some sort of IRQ conflict. I have also moved the DC30pro to different slots (the first PCI slot, second etc) to no avail.

Would anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing the system to freeze up like this? The TNT2 card is running the latest NVIDIA drivers (Detonator 3, from the nvidia site), by the way.

Your input would be valued greatly, as I am at a total loss. Thanks in advance!

Ryan.

Have you had this problem with any AVI files from other sources?

Is the DC30Pro a Firewire capture card for grabbing video from a DV camera? I guess it's possible that it is capturing uncompressed digital video. Most applications can't support that.

I found this out when I used Video Factory to render a video project to an uncompressed template. The size of the file was immense -- hit the FAT32 file size limit of 4 GB in just a couple of minutes worth of video data -- and nothing on my PC could play it properly.

My DV camera's data is captured using some sort of compression, obviously... but perhaps yours is not? Or perhaps you are editing it first in some application and then rendering the finished file to an uncompressed format?

By the way, I'm using a SONY Digital8 camera and a Pinnacle StudioDV card. My video has been playing just fine in Proa AUdio 9 and in SONAR.

Hi Alchuck,

Thanks for responding.

I just tried a regular AVI file (one of the ones that ships with Adobe Premiere) and it seems to play fine in Cakewalk (with audio). Although, it won't output to my external monitor as an MJPEG compressed file would understandably, since the DC30pro uses that format natively (if you want to output to an external set, that is).

The .AVI's that get captured by the DC30pro are actually compressed in MJPEG as far as I know. The card is an analog card, not firewire DV.

The resulting files are still quite big, although I have tried small file sizes and large file sizes alike (both a 600 meg file and a small 60 meg file). The audio that is captured along with the video is uncompressed PCM, 16-bit 44kHz stereo by the way.

The resolution of the capture is only 320x240, and it does play back (with audio) in Adobe Premiere 5.1 as well as through the Media Player that ships with the DC30pro. The hard drive isn't excessily churning, nor is the video choppy in those programs, so I'm fairly sure that the computer is handling things properly hardware wise.

Odd, isn't it?

Ryan.

Back