Vicarious drums

Johnka

I thought I was getting a pretty good handle on how to mix drums, until a friend who actually knows what he is doing mixed my raw tracks for me. I chalked up the mediocre sound I was getting to cheap equipment, so I was blown away by the sound he got.

He uses Reaper, but he could probably get the same sound from any good program.

It is both encouraging that I know I can get a much better sound with what I have, and discouraging to know that I still don't know what the hell I'm doing with mixing :-)

Anyway, here's the recording I'm talking about - drumming to Vicarious by Tool.

It never ceases to amase me that so many people want instant gratification when recording and mixing. It is very much a learned skill that takes years to get a grasp on and you're always learning along the way. Good gear helps but it still comes down to the ears and experience behind the glass to capture that sound. Glad you';re still plugging at it. Don't give up.

It never ceases to amase me that so many people want instant gratification when recording and mixing. It is very much a learned skill that takes years to get a grasp on and you're always learning along the way. Good gear helps but it still comes down to the ears and experience behind the glass to capture that sound. Glad you';re still plugging at it. Don't give up.

Good point and one of life's lessons: there are no shortcuts to anywhere worth getting to :)

Back