VIA KT-333 Chipset - Good or Bad?

NeuzGrouper

Heya all - Yep, I am a newbie. Just want to get that out of the way.

I JUST got the final piece of equipment,an aark direct pro Q10, for my home recording system. (Who am I kidding? There is no such thing as the FINAL piece of equipment, especially for me right now. Anyway...)

I went to the aardvark website and they said,

"Chipsets by VIA and Ali will work with our products, but are not recommended for pro audio in general. "

I emailed them, and the tech said there is a problem with utilizing the full bandwidth of the PCI bus. He also refrenced a couple of articles that would be hard for me to disbelieve. He said go with $Pentium$, as their chipsets more fully utilize the bandwidth of the PCI bus. The PCI bus is, of course, where the Q10 interfaces with my machine, so this is an issue.

So, my question is this:

Is anybody out there using a MBoard with the VIA KT-333 chipset with an aark card (the 24/96 is just a smaller Q10, I have been told) without problems? The exact mboard I have is the GA-7VRXP, incidentally.

Much Thanks to all and any replies!

hm, that is a really good question, but i would guess its bullshit basically. Ive been told the new kt333 boards are really good, and a majority of people use them, because of the perforamce/price of the amd chipsets compared to the pentiums. And most people seem to be doing ok, but , i'd still like to hear something from someone else, maybe with some experience?

Me Too...

I would definitely like to hear from someone else with experience with my board also. The guy at aardvark seemed pretty knowledgeable, but I dunno, I just get the vibe off him that he may be anti-AMD as a rule, and then goes and finds evidence that supports that stance. I have met a lot of computer people who do that before..."(Mac's SUCK!" people and "PC's SUCK!" people, for instance.)

He said that specifically the VIA and Ali chipsets had certain problems, and presented evidence to that effect, but then made the jump from there to saying that AMD processors in general should be avoided due to the lack of proper motherboard support. Quite a logical jump, I would say. Last time I checked, there were other companies that made chipsets for mboards that support AMD processors, are they ALL bad? What about evidence to supprt that? I am not trying to diss aardvark, or this tech, I just don't want to write off the only realistic alternative to $Pentium$ for a PC as being unworthy without getting as much info as possible. It sucks that when I try to research these things online, I can't seem to find anyone to provide unbiased reviews of both processors with an eye towards cost vs performance.

Me Too...

I would definitely like to hear from someone else with experience with my board also. The guy at aardvark seemed pretty knowledgeable, but I dunno, I just get the vibe off him that he may be anti-AMD as a rule, and then goes and finds evidence that supports that stance. I have met a lot of computer people who do that before..."(Mac's SUCK!" people and "PC's SUCK!" people, for instance.)

He said that specifically the VIA and Ali chipsets had certain problems, and presented evidence to that effect, but then made the jump from there to saying that AMD processors in general should be avoided due to the lack of proper motherboard support. Quite a logical jump, I would say. Last time I checked, there were other companies that made chipsets for mboards that support AMD processors, are they ALL bad? What about evidence to supprt that? I am not trying to diss aardvark, or this tech, I just don't want to write off the only realistic alternative to $Pentium$ for a PC as being unworthy without getting as much info as possible. It sucks that when I try to research these things online, I can't seem to find anyone to provide unbiased reviews of both processors with an eye towards cost vs performance.

Back