VF80 without a CD burner

brickboo

I'm looking at a VF80 without a CD burner. Can someone explain what will be required to get the files from the VF80 into my computer to burn a CD?

Please give a guess as to how much money I'd need to spend for any special items that I would need to do this. Or should I forget about going this route.

Thanks
Boo Hargis

I recently bought the VF80 WITH the CD burner. Though over my budget, I really, really, don't have much time to record, let alone mess around with connectors, etc. The CD burner seems as if it will make transferring files to the PC so much easier.

Needless to say, I have only gotten so far as reading the manual, so I'm not sure if the damn thing works or not yet! :rolleyes:

I believe that you'll have to use the stereo outs for getting info to the PC.

Overall, I think and hope that the extra $100 for the burner was worth the potential headaches.

Rec on,

G

:)

There's always a way to make things work, but I believe the VF80 with the CDR is a good way to go. The standard music CD burns are excellent, plus the option of saving all tracks either as a WAV or in the Fostex FDMS-3 format is hard to beat.

Buying the CDR after the initial purchase is usually more expensive than buying it all at once.

If you use the VF-80 without a CD burner and want to transfer to a PC, using the line outs means you would be transferring the signal in analog, resulting in a loss of sound quality. The other route would be to transfer data via the S/PDIF out. But then you would need to have an interface so the computer would accept the S/PDIF connection.
Seems to me it would be cheaper to cough up the extra $$ to buy one with the internal burner.
Unless of course you want to do all the mixing on computer. Then my advice would be to either purchase the MR-8 using it to record the tracks and then transfer the recorded tracks to PC using the USB connection for mixing/mastering. Or. purchase the DigiTech Vx400 and record directly to PC using its USB interface. The DigiTech is, IMHO, probably the best interface around for recording directly to PC. It has phantom power, mic-preamp, multiFX, drum machine, USB interface and comes with a CakeWalk software. I'm using one for my mic pre-amp on my VF-80 and it gives me the FX access at recording the VF-80 lacks. Plus, I can use it in live settings for adding FX to vocals.

I just got the latest MF catalog. The VF-80 with the CD burner is only $100 more than the VF-80 without the burner. At $599.99, I'd rate it a best buy.

Back