VF80 or MR8

brickboo

I found the VF80 for $390 and the MR8 is everywhere for $299. I was thinking it was a no brainer a couple of days ago to decide which to buy. However after reading the newer post here, I'm not so sure anymore. It seems a couple of folks are having trouble with the Hard Drive on the VF80.

Any input positive or negative on either unit would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Boo Hargis

Aside from the hard drive problems I think there should be only one question. Am I going to use it in conjunction with my PC?

If you are not gonna use it in conjunction with your PC, get the VF80. Not only because of being able to have more recording time, but the VF80 has a better effects processor.

If you are gonna use it with your PC, buy the MR-8 and use the $100 you save for more equipment you might need (mics, monitors, etc.)

I think this bbs is bound to give a distorted view because only those who have difficulties post about them; the majority who don't have no need to. You could post a poll if you like.

For what it's worth, the build quality of the VF80 is generally regarded as higher than average. (Which is not to denigrate that of the MR8, but I know less about it)

Gospel had a good point but I use my VF80 extensively with a PC, via the digi out, but only for mixing; we like the fact that we can track everything during rehearsal on it without having to mess about with a PC.

If I had the choice again I would still buy the VF80 - it's been a huge help to us.

Get the VF80

Unless you need battery operation, get the VF80. Frankly, from reading posts here for quite a while, HD problems on the VF80 seem to be incredibly rare. Just as many problems (not HD) have been reported on the MR8, and just as many problems can be found on other sites dedicated to other machines.

Do a search and read all the posts on the VF80. This will put the latest ones, from one or two folks, in a greater context. The VF80 has a very high build quality and it would be hard to go wrong in buying one. While the MR8 is a fine machine, I think apart from extreme portability, the VF80 is the way to go.

Buy your machine from a place that offers a 30 day (or more) return policy. Then use it like heck. Any problems in electronic gear are likely to show up early. Good luck.

I guess I don't understand the comment, "if you want to use it with your PC, get the MR8."

Please explain, as I do need to get the files into my computer to burn CD's.

I lke the idea of being able to slow down recorded licks from CD's with the VF 80. I assume the MR8 does not have this feature. I play sax and I'm always hearing licks by the great jazz sax players that I try to learn off of CD's.

I also like the idea of being able to remove the vocal from CD's. I assume that the MR8 does not have this feature also.

Thanks again,
Boo Hargis

brickboo - couple of things for you.

The strength of the MR8 is the ease of transferring recorded audio files in digital format to the PC, via a USB link. Its weakness is the limited recording time. The reverse is true of the VF80; you'll never run out of hard disk space but the only ways to get tracks onto the PC without losing sound quality are either by adding a CD burner (onto which you can burn .wav files for track by track mixing as well as mixed down audio CD's) or by using the digital out to record onto a SPDIF equipped sound card. Which works fine but is slow.

By the way neither the VF80 nor any other digi multitrack will remove vocals from recorded CD's.

Hope this helps a bit. Would strongly recommend you trawl through the older posts in this forum as these issues have been, ahem, extensively (and sometimes entertainingly) debated.

good luck

Garry

Here we go again Garry...........:)
If you want an excellent stand alone recorder then go with the VF80. In my honest opinion, I think the MR8 is very limited in this area. If you want to track away from the computer and then edit and mix your tracks in the computer you're probably better off getting the MR8. It's fast and easy to move tracks to the pc using the MR8. When it comes to the creative process, fast and easy is preferable to slow and time consuming. Based on what I know of both machines, I would purchase the MR8 again, but then I never step out of my house to record. If I was working outside of my house and recording live bands for instance, then I'd get the VF80. The amount of memory in the MR8 is next to useless when you work only in the machine itself.

remove vocals

Gary,

The VF80 manual not only says that it can remove vocals but explains how to remove vocals and lead instruments from songs. Has anyone else here read this in the manual?

I downloaded the manual and read most of it. It can also slow down a song without messing up the pitch.

If you've read the manual then you are doing very well... The manual is the weakest part of the VF80. I believe you are correct in the vocal removal thing, though that doesn't interest me. I suspect the VF80 has a filter remove frequencies where most human voice hangs out, so you can put in your own.

I think what everyone has said is right. If PC editing is your primary goal, then the MR8 most easily allows transfer of data onto a computer. But in every other area the VF80 should be better. The convertors on the VF80 are 20/24 bit, plus you get built in phantom power for 2 mikes. I would also go for the built-in burner. I got mine from Musician's Friend, and they matched JD Sound's price of $599. burner included. Not bad.

brickboo

The VF80 manual not only says that it can remove vocals but explains how to remove vocals and lead instruments from songs. Has anyone else here read this in the manual?

Well, yes, I found it in the manual. And it sort of does. What it does is remove anything which is mixed bang in the centre, which usually is the lead vocals. And the bass. If you want to see how this approach works in practice, go to www.analogx.com and on the "Music" part of their site there is a free "Vocal Remover" download which does the same. It works by some sort of phase reversal process which means anything which has an identical signal in both stereo tracks gets cancelled. It's a bit hit and miss, as the Fostex manual acknowledges.

(Bill, by the way filtering the frequencies as you mention doesn't work because it removes large parts of the music as well)

Garry Sharp said:
(Bill, by the way filtering the frequencies as you mention doesn't work because it removes large parts of the music as well) [/B]

It was a guess. Obviously not a good one. But a guess nonetheless!

from vf80 to computer

So to get to the computer
1. I have to record through the sound card of the computer?
2. I guess I need software to do this?
3. If so what software would I need?
4. Do the files from the VF80 have to be converted to work on the computer?
Thanks again,
Boo Hargis

1. Not if you have the CD burner on the VF80, yes if you don't; in that case you'll need an SPDIF equipped sound card.
2. You'll need a multi track mixing / editing programme anyway, which will also enable you to record
3. Many of us use n-Track. Have a look round the n-Track forum
4. No. The VF80 gives you .wav files which are the standard audio format for PC's (unless you have a Mac, which uses .aiff files - don't know the answer to that)

Re: from vf80 to computer

brickboo said:
So to get to the computer
1. I have to record through the sound card of the computer?

I've got a question, not trying to be smart or anything, maybe there is just something that I'm missing. If you are going to record through the sound card on your computer, why do you even need the VF80?

Gospel,
I want the convience of recording on the Fostex. No boot up and all the other problems with the computer that I encounter from time to time.

After I get what I want , I thenwant to do a CD. I have a CD burner on my computer. I can get the VF80 for $399 without the CD. With the CD it is $599.

I hope this makes sense to everyone. I hope I'm not being stupid here. I've heard comments about getting an idea and turning the digital recorder on and recording pronto. This seems much more convient to me than waiting for the computer to jump start each time.

Computer software to me can be a hassle sometimes. I looked at the manual for the VH80 and I think I could learn it a 100 times quicker than computer recording software.
Boo

Ok, I understand now. I guess it's just according to how much money you want to spend. I think in your situation I would go for the VF80. That way your creativity will not be limited my the recording time on the MR-8. I don't know how easy it is to transfer wavs from the VF80 to pc (does it have USB?), but the MR-8 is fast and easy in transferring wavs.

brickboo said:
I guess I don't understand the comment, "if you want to use it with your PC, get the MR8."

Please explain, as I do need to get the files into my computer to burn CD's.

I skimmed through this rather quickly, so forgive me if I missed it, but I don't think anyone's mentioned something I've heard before, but unfortunatley can't confirm. I was told that you can get an add-on card for the VF80 that'll allow you to hook up an external drive, like a zip drive, to facilitate transfer to a computer. I also heard you can get a USB card to fit in the slot. But I just looked all around and couldn't find any info about it, which makes me think it doesn't exist :(

However, I DID find such a card for the VF-08. Whoever referred to it before must've gotten the models mixed up (VF-08 is not a typo; it's actually a different model)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...053206912924/g=home/search/d=tp?q=fostex+SCSI

Anyway, I have an MR-8, and I particularly like the ease with which you can transfer directly to a computer (PC or Mac). The annoying thing is the memory issue...even the 128mb CF card isn't enough to do much more than record one song, without much editing and without lots of tracks. Then again, I find it really hard to do any editing/mixing/mastering type of stuff on the unit itself anyway, so I end up just using software. Basically what it comes down to then, is that the MR-8 is my way of recording things digitally, which I can manipulate on my computer to create the final mix.

gospel said:
I don't know how easy it is to transfer wavs from the VF80 to pc (does it have USB?), but the MR-8 is fast and easy in transferring wavs.

It DOESN'T have USB capability built-in, that's the problem here. I don't know why Fostex didn't include it! Errrr

Oh, another thing to consider:

After buying an MR-8 (Scratch & Dent from MF; $240!) I keep finding myself unsatisfied with the sound quality of my recordings, but not due to flaws in the Fostex unit itself, but rather due to my lack of outboard gear needed to achieve a great sound (good mics, a mixer, a pre-amp (until today! :) ), a compressor, etc. etc.).

Some say get the VF-80 because it has built-in phantom power and a better effects chip. But I wouldn't doubt that after using it for a while you'll realize that you really need to get a good pre-amp. You certainly do with the MR-8! And even if you buy a decent mixer with decent pre's, like a Mackie DFX-6 or something, you might be unsatisfied after a while. So is it worth spending a few hundreds more for the VF-80 because it has phantom power and a better effects chip? Maybe, but not in my mind. And are you really going to use the effects, which you might decide sound "cheezy," or will you use outboard effects, or maybe even software effects to achieve the sound you want?

The thing is, recording is a never-ending process...you're always wanting/needing that other piece of gear to improve your sound. So I figure it's best to spend less on the recorder itself, which will likely end up being just that - only a recorder - and save some money to spend on other gear.

Back