Vf80-CD Question

m98ter

I think that I've finally narrowed down my standalone multitrack search to the VF80-CD (well, maybe a Tascam 788), and I have a question. First of all let me say I'm a complete digital multitrack newbie, so this is probably obvious. After I've recorded my six, eight, two, or however many tracks I want on a song at a time and I mix and master them as I like (I know using a computer is the best way for that, but I don't have one), am I able to burn them as a whole onto the built in CDR? From reading around, it almost seemed as if I was only able to burn single tracks more for data backup or pc upload rather than buring my finished songs. Thnaks for the help.

Will

The VF80 is a great machine. You have several options with the internal burner. You can either burn 8-tracks of material onto a disc as .wav files for backup or pc editing. You can also backup 8 tracks with all settings (eq/effects) on a disc using the FDMS-3 backup format. Lastly, you can mix down tracks 1-6 into a stereo master on tracks 7/8, with effects, eq, compression, etc. Then you can burn that finished stereo Master onto a CD.

The Fostex's are VERY stable machines that do not require defragging, optimizing of the Hard Drive. The machine does this as you go. It saves as you go too, so you just shut off the recorder when you're done working, just like on a tape deck. The VF80 also offers scene automation (to make adjustments during a mixdown). In addition the VF80 is totally digital, so mixes never leave the digital domain.

The TASCAM is getting a bit long in the tooth, though it is a 24bit recorder, and has more simultaneous inputs. The harddrive on some 788's is very noisy, depending on which is installed. The VF80 I owned was much quieter than the 788 I tried.

Even so, you should be able to make excellent recordings on either one. By the way, Tascam has released a new 24-track portastudio (2488?) for a little over $1,100. I don't know where this leaves the 788.

Well, my budget for the standalone and a burner is definately under the $800 mark, so that rules out anything above the two. You said that you can mixdown 1 through 6 onto 7 and 8 for a master, so I assume that means when your making a "finished" product your only allowed 6 tracks? Also, you mentioned compression as an effect. Is this the compression that I'm thinking of in terms of limiting the peak levels of the tracks so that nothing is too loud over anything else. Say screamed vocals are still screamed, but not any louder than the whispered ones? If not, I've always wondered if it was possible to use a rack compressor with a standalone multitrack machine to acheive that desired effect? In my early days (well, where I guess I'm still at) of portastudio's I could see that compression was something that I really wanted to use, buy never really had the option. Thanks for the help.

Will

Just stumbled upon the VF160.........for all that it offers, why is it only a couple hundred more than that 80? It seems as if its doubled track count might be worth the extra cash.........but then again, I might as well save some cash for some monitors rather than having another 8 tracks I might never use.

m98tr

you can actually record up to 24 tracks of audio for one song using the VF80.

You can only however listen back to 8 at a time.

You can burn all 24 of these tracks to a CD as wav files and then upload them into your PC....this is what I do.

I dont use the vf80 much for mixing. If you want to mix down, you have to mix the first 6 tracks down to tracks 7 and 8 as a stereo master. You then swap them all around so you can mix the remaining tracks with the first mix etc etc etc

The vf80 is pretty stable and the burns I do on CDs come out ok.

The compressor DOES NOT work on individual tracks. you cannot use it while tracking either. You have to buy an external unit for that so bump up yer budget :) The comp only works after you've mixed your tracks down to your stereo tracks and then master them in prep for burning your CD. This is a pain. I would have preferred Fostex ditch all the crappy guitar emulations and other average effects in favour of compression as an insert for tracking.

If you want a good compressor, try the FMR Audio RNC.

The VF160 could be a good choice. Just check it has the cdrw for that price!

Tube

In the US, the VF80CDR typically goes for $699. and the VF160CDR typically goes for $850 to $899. For me, over the long haul, it makes a lot of sense to go with the VF160.

Used VF80CDR's typically go for $500, so that changes things a bit, but either way, they're both great machines.

I've owned a VF80, and now a VF160. I've burned lots of CD's on each, without one skip, ever. The ONLY time I've ever had a system freeze was when I started pushing buttons while the hard drive was being accessed during a prior operation. The stability of the Fostex units (which do not require defrags or optimizing) is something other units can't approach.

By the way, the FMR-AUDIO RNC is a very nice compressor, though I always try to avoid using it.

When did the Tascam start coming equipped with the CD burner? The last time I saw one (or paid attention to the listing in the Musician's Friend catalog), the only CD burning option was to pay $300 extra for an external burner that connected through the SCSI port.
(Or is my memory playing tricks on me?)
That, and the fact that the price of the Tascam without the CD burner was the same as the Fostex VF-80 with the burner installed, were among the reasons I purchased the Fostex over the Tascam.

VF80 is Nice, but get the VF160

I have a VF80 with CD burner and am very pleased with it. It's easy to use and the CD burner works very well. As said above, the compression is only available in the internal mastering phase. You probably need to get an external compressor to squish vocals and accoustic guitar on the way in; I've seen the need for that in the recording I've done so far. That said, the prices on digital recorders has dropped so ridiculously that I would by the VF160 if I were buying new right now. The extra tracks would be nice and, I believe, it allows you to apply two effects per track in the mix, while the 80 only allows one, which is somewhat limiting. You won't be making a mistake with the VF80, but it's pretty easy to use and I think you would soon be wishing for the bigger model. Good luck.

Yamaha vs. Fostex

Anyone compare the Tamaa AW16gcDHD to the fostex VF80CDR ?
On paper it looks sligthly better. Street price 999.

Yamaha vs. Fostex

Anyone compare the Yamaha AW16gcDHD to the fostex VF80CDR ?
On paper it looks slightly better. Street price 999.

Re: Yamaha vs. Fostex

HarveyLG said:
Anyone compare the Yamaha AW16gcDHD to the fostex VF80CDR ?
On paper it looks slightly better. Street price 999.

To some extent you're talking apples and oranges, because the Yamaha is a 16 track machine while the VF80 is 8...

The VF160/AW16 is a more even comparison. Both are 16bit recorders with built-in CDR. Some like the effects and sound character on the AW16. Personally, I love my VF160, but I've never done a strict A/B comparison.

The VF160 has a full 16 individual tracks, while the AW16 has a few stereo tracks. The Fostex uses a 3.5" harddrive that is easily replaced, while the Yamaha uses a 2.5" and it's not easily replaced. The Fostex is easy to learn, and it optimizes the harddrive as you go, so no saving, defragging, is ever necessary. The Fostex is $800. If I were to go much higher in price, I'd either wait for a 24bit Fostex, or consider the new Tascam 24 bit, 24 track machine going for $1,100.

Billisa

Thanks for the reply. Looks like fostex vf160 it is. Your point about easier to use was the key.

Can two effects (i.e. delay and reverb) be used on a single track for the fostex ?

Thanks again

Harvey

HarveyLG said:

Can two effects (i.e. delay and reverb) be used on a single track for the fostex ?Harvey

Yes. Actually, there is one effect that's a delay and reverb combined already. Even so, two effects can be placed on an individual track with each effect set at a different level.

m98ter,
If you have not invested in your VF unit yet, the current Musician's Friend catalog has the VF-80 (with CD burner) priced at $599.99. The VF-160 (with CD burner) is priced at $799.99.

Back