VF160ex inserts issues

poobar

The owner's manual on this makes no sense to me. There are two insert jacks on the back panel which are tied with channels G and H.
Owner's manual says you can use a Y connector to go from the insert jacks to an external effect , like a compressor or EQ.

I want to go to my ART Pro Channel from the Fostex. How do I do this? I have a Y connector with one end TRS which I plugged into the Fostex insert jack and two 1/4" plugs which I plugged into the ART compressor input and output. Don't seem to be getting any result.

Do the inserts have anything to do with the AUX send/returns? I don't think so, but the owner's manual is so poorly written that it's hard to tell. I think the AUX send/return button only has to do with the AUX jack in the back of the machine.

Maybe I'm an idiot, but something doesn't seem right. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong somewhere.

Thanks to anyone who has some advice on this!

Sounds like you need a regular insert cable like this www .zzounds. com/item--HOSSTP20

Technically not a "Y" cable, but similar.

Sounds like you need a regular insert cable like this www .zzounds. com/item--HOSSTP20

Technically not a "Y" cable, but similar.

Thanks... I do have one and that's what I've been using...
I have the Fostex in BUSS mode to bounce from tracks 1 & 2 to tracks 7 & 8 ( G & H ) and the compressor into the 1st insert jack. Doesn't seem to be doing anything though.

I'm pretty sure that the insert I/O is only functional during recording. If you're trying to "reamp" a previously recorded tracks, try direct mode and send them from the aux sends into you ART and then return them to: (a) the VF's insert returns if you want to bypass the VF's mic pres or (b) two VF channels. Of course, the channels have to be armed.

Paj
8^)

Thanks... that makes sense I'll give that a try. The more I work with the Fostex the more I seem to run into what seem to be limitations with it. For example, I have about 30 programs of partially completed songs on it. I want to save the material that's on there to free up more hard drive space, but I don't want to have to do a final mix down and burn them to a CD before I can erase the programs on the disc. But I can't find a way to save songs to a CD without doing a final mixdown.

Do you have a manual? You can save a program with your track/master setting directly to a CD. The limitations are, as I remember them, one program per save and they're saved in the FDMS (Fostex proprietary) format. All recorded tracks (including 17-24) are saved and disk spanning is automatic if necessary. A proprietary program save is the default---WAV saves are the option.

Pam
8^)

Do you have a manual? You can save a program with your track/master setting directly to a CD. The limitations are, as I remember them, one program per save and they're saved in the FDMS (Fostex proprietary) format. All recorded tracks (including 17-24) are saved and disk spanning is automatic if necessary. A proprietary program save is the default---WAV saves are the option.

Pam
8^)

Thanks... I do have a manual and finally figured out that I can save pgms as FDMS or WAV files as you suggested. Too bad you have to use one CD for each save. I've been using "save all" tracks even if I only have 3 or 4, and as a test I loaded on of the pgms on CD that I had saved and told it to load to all tracks, even though there were only 3 or 4. I'm assuming that as long as there is nothing on the blank tracks that if you say "load to all" it won't use up any more room on the hard drive than it would if you told it just to load to the specific three or four tracks. I couldn't tell that from reading the manual. Thank you for your advice and help on this.

Back