VF160 VS. Yamaha AW16G???

mutt

Any thoughts on a comparison between the VF 160 and the Yamaha AW 16G? I'm thinking of buying one of these type of units and I'm not really sure of feature differences, easiest to use - learn, etc. For instance - the screen on the VF looks quite a bit smaller than the one on the YAM - (and my eyes aren't what they used to be). Can the VF be connected to a computer so that you can show what is on the VF's screen on your computer monitor? etc.

mutt

This comparison should generate some lively responses. There's a AW16 forum where everyone there might suggest you join their clique. I own a VF80, not a VF160, but I do know a few things.

The VF160 has 16 individual faders, whereas the Yamaha has fewer. The VF160 uses a 3.5" 20gig HD whereas the Yamaha uses a 2.5" 20gig. The VF160 saves as you go, whereas on the Yamaha you have to remember to save. The Yamaha looks pretty stylish, but the VF160 seems built like a tank. I believe both record at a 16bit level, though the VF160 does 20bit AD conversion and 24bit DA conversion, whereas the Yamaha converts in 24bit ADDA...

It also depends on what you want to do.

Do you want to expand to be able to record 16 Tracks at once? Easy with the VF160, impossible with the AW16G.

Maybe you want to use outboard Effects at times? Easy with the VF160, impossible with the AW16G.

Maybe ya want to fly your tracks to your computer via ADAT. Easy with the VF160...

The AW16G is a nice recorder. I almost bought one. However, it's a Closed Box and what you get with it is all you are ever going to get. If you want flexibility, go with the VF160. I did and I'm glad that I did.

CR ><>

Back