VF08 and Philips CDR775

Jonboy

Apologies to those who have tried to help with this question before! (particularly bbbmusic). I just haven't grasped the concept guys!
Anyway here goes....
I have recently invested in a VF08 Digital Multitracker and want to master to a Philips CDR775 (I can't afford the Fostex burner at the moment).
Problem is I don't know if I need the COP1 converter or not.
I have attached a jpeg showing the rear connections of the Philips machine.
On viewing the picture can you please advise if I absolutely need the COP1? I am a complete novice and do need things spelled out!
If I don't need the converter, how do I connect the burner to the machine. (Manual is unclear)
Jonboy

Attachments

• cdr775.jpg
    cdr775.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 41
You don't need the converter. Just hook up the VF08 'S/P-DIF DATA Output to the Philips Digital In (#6 on the picture).

Use a video cable, the ones with the yellow plugs.

micmac

on a DMT-8 & 765----

I know it's not the exact same setup but pretty similar. I use the optical connection. However, I can mix down that way, and I can back up off of it.... but I can't retrieve the backups. I believe your recorder is easier to backup though, so that's not a big deal.

Just select the correct input on the phillips...

Thanks guys!
Next question then - what provides the better quality...Optical or S/P-DIF connections...or is the quality the same?
I've ordered the burner and am getting an optical cable with it.
Jonboy

Cheers blackbuck!
Presumably when u talk about back-up in your earlier post - u mean data back-up to CD??? or computer???
Jonboy

I use it for data backup to cd, since my computer's not well equiped enough to backup to it.

I plan on using a DVD to get the data off. Hopefully that will work, but I havn't tried it yet with the new one I bought.

If you want to use the optical input on your Philips (going from the VF08), you'll need to get the COP-1 or a similar unit.

You can back up song data to the Philips deck via the S/P-DIF coaxial.

-Push the "SETUP" button.
-Scroll down to "SAVE PGM".
-Hit "YES".
-Choose "SPDIF" and hit "YES".

Now you can choose what program to save. You'll also be able to see the size of the songfile in MB. If it's bigger than your CD-R's discs capacity, the song data can be split up and saved onto different discs.

micmac

Thanks micmac.
How do I reintroduce my backed up programs to the VF08, if I later want to make changes?
On the basis that when completing the song I deleted it to make space on the HD.
Jonboy

It's easy. Just follow the instructions in the other post, but instead of choosing "SAVE PGM", choose "LOAD PGM" and go from there.

I'd definitely do back-ups, at least from time to time, even if you don't delete the files. The hard drive in the VF08 isn't a very expensive one. It's the same as in they put in the iMac, which has had a fair amount of deceased HD's, including my own ex-HD.

micmac

almost the same

I just posted this somewhere else and then read this. I am trying to hook up a 424mkIII to a cdr775 going thru a reciever that has tape ins and outs and an aux in. I use the reciever to power my monitors. I have the monitor out going to the reciever. When I tried hooking the 424 to the cdr thru the reciever I can't get the signal to the cdr. I recorder a test track and the volume was very very low. What I want to do is just mix down the tracks off of the 424 to cd. I know this must be simple but I don't want to just start trying plugging stuff up with out some advice.
thanks,
dtb

dtb,

You should be ok going directly from your Tascam's line out to the Philips analog inputs. Adjust the recording levels on the 775 and, if you already haven't, hook it up to whatever you're monitoring through.

It can be difficult to get a good overall level on your CDR going through the analog inputs. If you put a compressor between the Tascam and the 775, you'll be able to get a higher volume on mixdown without the signal distorting.

micmac

Back